TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm undecided on which route to take. Should i go p&p NPI heads or PI heads. cost is a major factor in this for me so i'm not even sure if i will be going either route. after all i am a broke college student. I have a good idea of what the pi swap will cost but no idea at all what a p&p will cost. how much should i expect to pay to get my stock heads port and polished? and if i decide to go with pi heads, i've heard that the compression becomes higher. would i be able to run nitrous with the compression ratio of the pi heads on the stock block. I defintiyl want a power adder and of course i would love a supercharger but like i said i'm a broke college student so the hp per dollar spent on the n2o is looking really good. I wouldnt run more than a 75-100 shot. any info at all is appreciated. thanks.

Frank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
chadg said:
pnp npi from Renegade would whoop the crap out of a pair of PI heads, easy.
I agree with Chadg.....a P&P from Renegade used to run $700 or $800, but
the price may have changed since I was quoted that figure. BTW - that was
for the actual P&P work. It did not inculde shipping, assembly or disassembly
if required, valves, valve work, cams, or springs......

For advice on nitrous contact: 1MTNCAT, he has a lot experience with it.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,994 Posts
fdawg97lx said:
i'm undecided on which route to take. Should i go p&p NPI heads or PI heads. cost is a major factor in this for me so i'm not even sure if i will be going either route. after all i am a broke college student. I have a good idea of what the pi swap will cost but no idea at all what a p&p will cost. how much should i expect to pay to get my stock heads port and polished? and if i decide to go with pi heads, i've heard that the compression becomes higher. would i be able to run nitrous with the compression ratio of the pi heads on the stock block. I defintiyl want a power adder and of course i would love a supercharger but like i said i'm a broke college student so the hp per dollar spent on the n2o is looking really good. I wouldnt run more than a 75-100 shot. any info at all is appreciated. thanks.

Frank
So, are we keeping the car "broke college student!?" :D

Joe
 

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Rodeo Joe said:

So, are we keeping the car "broke college student!?" :D

Joe
yea i just got another job.....so i get to keep it. i'm lucky i found a job so quick or it would of had to go. after i get insurance on it the mods will start rolling in again.

anyone got contact info for renegade? and a website or something. also anyone know about the compression ratio of pi's on a stock block if i can safley run nitrous or not. thanks.

Frank
 

·
Boost Happy
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
i got P*P NPI from renegade , just the P*P job was like 699 but i got more then that , with spring kit cams and the P*P job etc look to spend about 1400-1700
depends on what u want , but they do make a difference the numbers that me jl and gold bird has got speak for them self .


Jurgen
 

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jurgen said:
i got P*P NPI from renegade , just the P*P job was like 699 but i got more then that , with spring kit cams and the P*P job etc look to spend about 1400-1700
depends on what u want , but they do make a difference the numbers that me jl and gold bird has got speak for them self .


Jurgen
yea i agree about the numbers speaking for themself. 13's n/a in a bird is awesome. i think 1400-1700 is a little out of my reach right now though. how much hp and tq did u gain.

Frank
 

·
Boost Happy
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
i gained 41rwhp and like 47rwtrq , i gained more hp and torq then jl and gold bird caz i had lower numbers to begin with and when i did the head swap i converted to the 96+ intake caz i have a 94 bird and i got headers too .but you can get the P*P job for 699 and like 150 for the valve job and 240 for cams you should be fine.


Jurgen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
chadg said:
pnp npi from Renegade would whoop the crap out of a pair of PI heads, easy.


True the P&P NPI heads have way better flow #’s than stock PI heads. But the stock NPI intakes are sooo restrictive. In order to realize the true potential of the P&P job he would need either an SVO or after market intake. Not cheap.
IMO, for the $, my hp #'s are competitive with those that I have seen from P&P NPI heads with the stock NPI intake. 230rwhp and 275rwtq, was what I had before under drive pulleys, torque converter, metal matrix drive shaft and 3.73's. According to our favorite tuner, the mod's I have done since then would most likely look like 10rwhp & tq on the chassis dyno. Bullitt Bird made 250rhp and 285rwtq with stock PI heads, which is pretty good if you ask me. (I'm sure that Bullitt intake didn’t hurt any.) The stock PI heads do lag behind in the TQ dept though, I know Johnny and 96 Goldbird are slightly over 300rwtq. I'd be curious as to what #'s my heads will produce once I get them P&P'd, add a nasty set of cams, Kooks and eventually a nice intake.

I don't have my receipts for the overall parts cost of my head swap handy, but for some reason $1200 sticks in my head. Then again, my timing chains, tensioner and other related items were replaced at the same time. When I get home this evening I will check those receipts.
 

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eric Z. said:




True the P&P NPI heads have way better flow #’s than stock PI heads. But the stock NPI intakes are sooo restrictive. In order to realize the true potential of the P&P job he would need either an SVO or after market intake. Not cheap.
IMO, for the $, my hp #'s are competitive with those that I have seen from P&P NPI heads with the stock NPI intake. 230rwhp and 275rwtq, was what I had before under drive pulleys, torque converter, metal matrix drive shaft and 3.73's. According to our favorite tuner, the mod's I have done since then would most likely look like 10rwhp & tq on the chassis dyno. Bullitt Bird made 250rhp and 285rwtq with stock PI heads, which is pretty good if you ask me. (I'm sure that Bullitt intake didn’t hurt any.) The stock PI heads do lag behind in the TQ dept though, I know Johnny and 96 Goldbird are slightly over 300rwtq. I'd be curious as to what #'s my heads will produce once I get them P&P'd, add a nasty set of cams, Kooks and eventually a nice intake.

I don't have my receipts for the overall parts cost of my head swap handy, but for some reason $1200 sticks in my head. Then again, my timing chains, tensioner and other related items were replaced at the same time. When I get home this evening I will check those receipts.
What about the compression ratio with the pi heads. i remember reading somewhere that when you put the pi heads on it bumps up the compression and its not recommended to run a supercharger. what about nitrous, is it safe to run that? thanks.

Frank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
fdawg97lx said:


What about the compression ratio with the pi heads. i remember reading somewhere that when you put the pi heads on it bumps up the compression and its not recommended to run a supercharger. what about nitrous, is it safe to run that? thanks.

Frank
Compression will go up with the PI heads. Kind of kills adding a AED down the road (safely). Not sure on the nitrous. I'm intending to go the P&P NPI route. Renegade will be doing my work when I get around to it. I'm close enough I can probably drive the heads over. :) I already got the PI cams, just need a spare set of heads to get P&P'd.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Yeah, the best way to do the heads is to go to corral.net and bag a set of used ones for cheap. I got my set off a 98 GT with 30,000 miles on them. I paid $150 for them, and that included shipping. It's worth being able to drive the car around while you wait.

Then, I sent them off to Jim at Renegade. The labor and everything comes out to right around $1000 if i remember right, but he can do a lot of other stuff too. I got the stainless valves, titanium retainers, and better valve springs too...that added like $500 more. Then, with shipping costs, the price matches what Jurgen said.

The price for the heads being ported isnt' bad, it's all the other options that add up. For what you are planning though, I'd probably get the stainless valves at least because of how hostile the combustion chamber is with nitrous. If you plan on keeping the RPM's low, you shouldn't have to worry about floating a valve.

Pete
 

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
should i go with modmax springs or comp cams springs if i decide to do the port and polish? which springs are better?

Frank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
I'd go with Comp. I'm running ModMax and I've broken one already, as have a few other people. Comp's seem to have a safe track record so far. FYI Renegade builds their heads with Comp springs/retainers now.
 

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
chadg said:
I'd go with Comp. I'm running ModMax and I've broken one already, as have a few other people. Comp's seem to have a safe track record so far. FYI Renegade builds their heads with Comp springs/retainers now.
yea, i've been talking with jim through email and he told me about the mod max springs and the comp springs. i just wasnt sure which was better, i guess i'll be going with comp.


Frank
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top