TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so ive been kinda frustrated with my bird lately... I have a 97lx and yesterday my trun signals wouldnt work and today they did but now my signals and washer sprayer quit working and i have no idea what to do.

And the other thing is my climate control sysetm is not blowing at all, not on any setting ive read that some times if you jiggle the wires near the blower motor it helps but I got nothing.

Lastly my drivers door sags really bad to the point where it wont even close what would be the best route to go about fixing that...

Sorry for my angry rant :) I appreciate any advice

Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Well, with the turn signals and the washer sprayer, I would suggest either dis-assembling and cleaning all the contacts on the multi function switch, or, the better option, IMO would be to just replace the multi function swithc with a new unit. It is not that difficult. there are plenty of posts here with info and photos.

The cl imate control could be a number of issues, first off, do you have manual or semi auto climate control? (do you have a digital display on the climate control head unit, or do you have three knobs?)

As for the sagging door, I too have the same problem. You could buy a hinge pin rebuild kit from somebody like supercoupeperformance or you could buy a new hinge from Ford. I am still on the fence about what to do, but my door is harder to deal with every day, so I will probably just get a whole new hinge.

These really are great cars, they are extremely reliable, tough as nails, just all around wonderful, don't get too mad at it, remember, they are old now, and they all need work.

·
Registered
623 Posts
^^ what he said.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. I love this car just little stupid things ya know? Anyways it's the semi auto climate control

·
Registered
623 Posts
Here is a very helpful link to fixing your saggy door.
This uses only the new bushings (not a whole new hinge)
The bushing can be found at a local parts store that sells the HELP! brand. there are a few threads here that give exact part numbers on these parts. I believe they are the same repair kit for a F150.

Anyways here the step by step video. hope it helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVVozUkfDO4

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
You're experiencing problems we all have; that's the good news. If you're good with tools, you can fix all of it for minimal investment.

I had intermittent problems with my multi-function switch in 2004, so I took it apart, cleaned the contacts and added dielectric grease. It's been flawless for seven years and 60k miles. Give it a shot!

I rebuilt my door hinges last month. It was tricky with the floor jack under the door, but I had my brother hold the door while I performed the work. I had to enlarge the holes to accept the new brass bushings (Dremel with stone tip), but it worked out really well. My door is like brand new again. I did not need to replace my hinges, so the entire job was done in one afternoon.

These really are great cars.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Door Hinges ... look at this thread. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=125934

I made a wooden cradle like one I saw in a thread here that it has ends that are cut to support the door bottom, lip, and start up outside a hair. I jack the car up with door open and set cradle on blocks to support door and then just barely lower car to take weight off hinge, AND NO MORE. Has a long flat piece to nestle up under door.

No need for new hinges 90% of the time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, before I take the multi-function switch apart should I check a relay somewhere or something? We have rain coming for the next 5 days and I wont be able to drive unless I fix that :/

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I don't know where the relay is, but you may be able to get them working (temporarily) by running the hazard switch up and down about 20 times. It's part of the same switch and can sometimes restore continuity when wiggled or worked up and down. Using that switch, which is rarely used anyway, can clean the corrosion from the copper terminals and get other things working.

It's not a fix, though, and it may not even work in your case.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
The relays should be right around the steering column area, to the left of the column. take the 3 bolts out of the panel that covers the area under the column and pull it down to pop it out. Some times the relays come loose, check the wires.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here is a very helpful link to fixing your saggy door.
This uses only the new bushings (not a whole new hinge)
The bushing can be found at a local parts store that sells the HELP! brand. there are a few threads here that give exact part numbers on these parts. I believe they are the same repair kit for a F150.

Anyways here the step by step video. hope it helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVVozUkfDO4
That's a great video. Wish I had seen it before I did mine.

It will probably take anyone that hasn't done them a bit longer than 30 min. to do one though.:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Any ideas on the climate control?

If you know how to use a multimeter, I would imagine you could get in there and start tracking what's working and where. If not, find someone that does.

Disclaimer: As with any advice I give, if anyone has a better idea, please feel free to offer better advice.:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think i found why the wipers weren't working its hard to see but the yellow wire wasnt in the harness

Except now everything is everywhere and i don't remember how it went :/

·
Super Moderator
10,772 Posts
Search, there are pics here somewhere.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE... I fixed the wire and cleaned all of the contacts but the wipers and sprayers still arent working.

Are the 97 multifunction switches the same as a 95's if so I've got one if you need one, not too far away either
Can you post a picture of the front and back of it I bet it would work :D If so your a life saver!:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE...

Wiper problem fixed! Now on to the blower motor. I checked the wires going into the blower motor with a multimeter and it gets no power on any setting. its the auto climate control system which means there is no resistor just a switch right?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts