TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating boring out the cylinders a couple thousandths of an inch, and shaving the heads down a little. Does it make sense to do them both, or should I stick with one and not the other?

Also, instead of buying new heads, would it make more sense to modify the ones I have to work with a better cam and valve setup ?

My father has access to the necessary tools and he has the knowledge to bore, port, polish, etc.. so I won't have to pay for any of that.

Thanks for any input.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
LiquidCougar said:
I'm contemplating boring out the cylinders a couple thousandths of an inch, and shaving the heads down a little. Does it make sense to do them both, or should I stick with one and not the other?

Also, instead of buying new heads, would it make more sense to modify the ones I have to work with a better cam and valve setup ?

My father has access to the necessary tools and he has the knowledge to bore, port, polish, etc.. so I won't have to pay for any of that.

Thanks for any input.
1st part, YES. Bore and decking are good, but only if you need it. You might, you might not, take it to a shop and ask them if they feel its necessary. Depends on how bad it is.

Buying new heads....if the motors pulled, no, get the ones you have cleaned up -- more than likely thats all they need. THEN decide on 'what next', it gets expensive quick ...I should know

HOT TANK EVERYTHING -- clean clean clean is the name of the game when you are working on a build. Do not use rags when cleaning, use paper towels (they disolve) and make sure its as CLEAN as it can be.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
oh and don't forget, you increase the bore, you need bigger pistons (seems like a "duh" but figured I toss it out there too)

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the engine's got less than 15,000 on it.. what exactly will determine whether or not boring and decking are necessary? I mean, we're only talking about a snapped crankshaft here. I'm talking about performance gains while I have it all apart.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
damage, scoring of the bore (wear) usually dictate if you just hone it (re-scratch it) or bore it (take material out). Some people also do it just so they have a "perfect" bore just to be sure. If there's only 15k on it, f' it, you shouldn't need to bore it out.

I have 160k on my XR7 cougar and didn't need to bore it out. Biggest 'performance' gain you'll want to do while its out is forged rods and pistons. That alone will allow you to either run good compression or boost the piss out of it. Displacement increase for a 3.8/4.6 isn't much ...and not much of a gain I'm sure.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
sorry idiot move again. The heads, if they have a real nasty imprint of the gasket, are pitted, etc ...depends on how bad they are

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent.. thank you..

Would you happen to know where I can get a reasonably priced set of forged internals? I really liked the set that SuperSix Motorsports sells (crankshaft, rods, and custom Wiseco pistons), but it's a bit pricey. I'm also a little unsure of exactly what else I'm going to need to replace and what I can re-use. Dan Newman told me that Ford doesn't sell a complete kit, so I need to pick out what I'm going to need before I can order. I know I'm going to need gaskets and rings (unless they come with the pistons). I'm pretty sure all my bearings are okay, so I don't think I'll need those.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
replace everything you can, bearings included (regardless of miles) and get everything cleaned. Block, heads, get the SC checked out, when you get a crank, make sure its in good shape and/or polished up real nice.

no matter what, a forged engine is NOT cheap, no matter how you look at it. Get gaskets (I went with fel-pro), rings sometimes come with pistsons, sometimes not. Try to get moly rings (better friction coefficient, less heat, less wear) if you can -- this also changes the hone. Using 100 something grit on a regular rings and you use a 300 something on the moly's, so I've been told.

I'd recommend a 94/95 SC oil pump if you can get it. New rockers if you didn't get those (the 1.73 SVO rockers are NICE). Check out my car domain page, it has a lot of the cougar's progress on there and basically I did what you are planning to do ...minus the forged parts (didn't have the cash)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts