TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've had the car about a month now, haven't driven it too often because it needed some things done before I felt it was truly "road worthy", started using it daily for work a few days ago, which is a 20 mile commute each way.

Issue 1:
On the way home yesterday, about 1/2 way home I'm sitting at a light (in gear with my foot on the brake) and all of a sudden the check engine light comes on. The light changes, I take off, and the light goes out. Then about another 10 minutes later the light comes on again (same conditions), flickers a bit, then stays on until I start driving again. This morning it came on again for a few seconds and then went out.
I thought if there was a legitimate issue these lights came on and stayed on until reset. Anyone have this happen before? Is it commmon?
It's been rainy and snotty out the last few days here, could the humidity be having an effect on one of the sensors or something?
Also, sometimes the oil idiot light flickers at idle while in gear and foot on brake. Let off brake and it goes out. Maybe these could be related? Ground/electrical problem maybe?

Issue 2:
Still have intermittent hard start issues. When I first got the car it was a p.i.t.a to start, sometimes it wouldn't start at all, thought it was fuel pump, but I did cap/rotor/plugs/fuel filter and it made a huge difference, but still, every once in a while I have to give it a few cranks to start. Car runs real strong, has very slight flutter at idle sometimes, but really runs great overall.

I haven't changed the coil or wires yet, the wires look good though.
Air filter good too.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
read the code?

·
Registered
663 Posts
read the code?
if you have any friends or you know a mechanic a obd1 code reader you can borrow
you could hook it up and leave it in there whenever you drive it and wait for the MIL to come on.... that would hint at whats up

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I have a buddy who can scan it for me, I'm not too familiar with the older Fords, so given the fact that the light came on/off, I wasn't sure if it is actually giving a code or some other issue causing it to come on and then off.
I thought if a code came up the light would come on and stay on until it is reset.

·
Registered
663 Posts
yeah they will come on if something happens, like random misfires or fuel pressure sensor errors and go of after a minute or two if it goes away. only certain codes stay until gets reset

1 - 6 of 6 Posts