TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on doing a J-mod to my tranny next weekend. I have been doing a lot of reading and video watching on how to do this. As I do my research, I am finding some different information. I already have a valve body and some of the upgraded accumulators. I have the new version of the 1-2 accumulator. However, I'm not sure how big of a difference there is between the light blue and the brown springs. I have the light blue. Is it a large enough difference that I should order the brown spring?

The 2-3 accumulator is where I am slightly confused. I have the one pictured as the new one in the tech article. However, when I watched the DirtyDog video, I saw that he installed a plastic one. Should I order the new plastic one?

Here are the parts that I have.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Stick with the Ford updated 2-3 accumulator, you'll have no problems. As for the proper spring, I would recommend you stick with what the JMod article says.

1-2 upper F75Z-7F84-AA (light blue) and lower 1-2 F7AZ-7F284-BA (violet) are the ones called for my 96 and I installed them.

If you're refering to the upper spring, the brown one is "very stiff, used in Econoline vans, explorers, mountaineers, and f150 trucks, never factory installed in crown vics".

I recommend you also buy a Sonnax 76948-09 pressure regulator valve and put it in, if you've watched the video it's a very good thing for the longevity of your tranny. It was the only additional thing I did when I did the JMod.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,576 Posts
Don't forget separator plate gaskets, upper and lower if you're drilling or just upper if you're only dropping it to get to the 2-3 accumulator. Also make sure you swap in a new filter; if you haven't upgraded to the deep sump and filter already now would be the time to do so. You have the correct accumulators.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Either 2-3 accumulator is fine, new style ford or aftermarket plastic. I have the aftermarket plastic unit in my "bulletproof" transmission build. I've had no issues with it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to order my gaskets and the pressure regulator valve. I have the deep sump and I installed a drain plug on it. I also have filter and fluid. Once I get my other parts I should be good to go.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
If you're refering to the upper spring, the brown one is "very stiff, used in Econoline vans, explorers, mountaineers, and f150 trucks, never factory installed in crown vics".
This is too stiff for a smooth street car; it will make your neck sore over time. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just to be sure, the violet spring is the one that is in currently in the 2-3 accumulator, correct?

There also seems to be a different pressure regulator for 91-95 and 96+. Is there a difference?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Just to be sure, the violet spring is the one that is in currently in the 2-3 accumulator, correct?

There also seems to be a different pressure regulator for 91-95 and 96+. Is there a difference?
Answers NO & then YES.

Any 96 Main VB would benefit fm the improved parts @ http://www.sonnax.com/ available via RobertP , DD or Darrin... IMO it's foolish to have that old a VB down for JMOD & not do this.

My MK DD TC differs fm yours so ??... but I went with Brown Upper 1-2 Accumulator Spring & Violet Lower fm DD - Soft but timely 1-2 under 2K RPM - Snappier over 2K RPM & very solid Shift @ WOT.

Use no 2-3 Springs no matter what you do but there is a fancy aftermarket Delrin 2-3 Accumulator Piston out there via our Vendors.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I already have a valve body, but I'm not sure what year it is out of. How can I tell which valve body it is? Can those vendors also get me the valve body gaskets?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Ok I already have a valve body, but I'm not sure what year it is out of. How can I tell which valve body it is? Can those vendors also get me the valve body gaskets?
Vendor will want Casting number off side of Main VB - & If MAIN VB is older than 96 I would'nt use it but it might have a Spring or Retainer that will come in handy - 98/99 Main VB will need darn little in way of JMOD but some Sonnax parts would be nice.

2000+ VB style Main VB has only TWO Pac Man Plates vice THREE - I agree with opinions that the LACK of the 3rd small round Pac-Man plate on the 2000+ VB leads to cross leaks in the Main VB ~! - See the Sonnax Site for their fix on that (then make your own Fix fm your old Main VB 3rd small Pac Man Plate) - 2000+ Main Vb also lacks the 3-4 Capacitor Valving in corner of Main VB nearest where small Pac Man plate was on the older Main VB's.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Here's what's in my 96 Main VB with parts fm DD:

Sonnax Main Regulator Valve (black) & the shorter stiffer Spring fm 2001 Main VB.

O Ringed End Cap fm 2001 Main VB in 2-3 Shift Valve.

Sonnax Solenoid Pressure Regulator (black) Valve from 2001 VB but used the heavier 96 Spring vice the TEENY Sonnax Spring from the 2001 VB... & by teeny I mean it slipped over the small tit on the PR Valve vice bearing on the flat "lands" like all the other Springs do in the like PR Valves of both VB's

Stayed with Jerry's desired Orange (or Brown) Spring in Converter Clutch Servo & 0D Servo as the 96 Main VB already had both - (2001 main VB had longer lighter CC Spring with entirely different OD Servo Assy & 2001 Sep Plate has Feed Hole for it, etc...)

Mild JMOD settings on 96 Sep Plate in keeping w/stock Motor.

I went with Brown Upper 1-2 Accumulator Spring & Violet Lower per DD - Subtle 1-2 Shifts under 2K RPM - Snappier over 2K RPM & very solid Shift @ WOT .

·
Super Moderator
9,576 Posts

·
Administrator
8,251 Posts
Going out on a limb, I'd say it's at least a 96 with the F6AP casting. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong! :zbash:

Joe

·
Premium Member
649 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is ebay a good place to get the valve body gasket kit? I also am having trouble finding the updated 96+ EPC bracket. The tech article says I will need that with a newer valve body.

·
Administrator
8,251 Posts
Have you tried a local Ford dealer for the gaskets?

Joe

·
Super Moderator
9,576 Posts
Either that or PM FordPartsCounter. Jason has always gotten me what I need...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I tried two local dealers and they neither instilled much confidence. I didn't have part numbers for the gaskets and it took both dealers about 45 minutes to find the prices. One guy couldn't figure out how many I needed or how many came in a pack. Even when I gave him a part number for the EPC bracket, he couldn't find it. The other dealer found one but it was $45. I would prefer to not spend that much on a little bracket, but if I have to, I will.

·
Administrator
8,251 Posts
Any tranny shops nearby?

Joe

1 - 20 of 32 Posts