TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a preferred brand? Most of the parts store brands seem to have **** reviews.

What is the difference in pumps with and without variable assist? Im seeing both. I thought the only difference was the evo being attached and possibly different pressure lines because of it.

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
12,409 Posts
I've only ever installed Motorcraft pumps with the EVO module included. A number of years back they started only shipping out refurb pumps without the EVO module because there was a shortage or something, though I'm not sure if that's the case. My guess is with/without EVO just means it has the EVO module installed or not.

If you need a pump in a pinch I have a spare. Not low miles, but quiet, and cheap. :)

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX Missing 4.6 MIssing Trans Red
4,584 Posts
I've used Autozone pumps, rock auto pumps, Oreillys pumps. I've getten them with the EVO and without. Swapping the EVO is annoying but not impossible. I've never had a problem with any of the pumps.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I ended up getting a cardone pump from advance. It seemed to have better reviews. This ended up being a last minute change. I was doing the water pump and I needed to find a power steering leak, but I think the pump was damaged in the short time it didn’t have any fluid in it.

I bought the pump with variable assist, but it didn’t come with the EVO. It did have a few o rings that fit it though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks everyone. I ended up getting a cardone pump from advance. It seemed to have better reviews. This ended up being a last minute change. I was doing the water pump and I needed to find a power steering leak, but I think the pump was damaged in the short time it didn’t have any fluid in it.

I bought the pump with variable assist, but it didn’t come with the EVO. It did have a few o rings that fit it though.
What a timely post. Tonight, pulling into the garage, I noticed a not-minor puddle of something on the floor and stopped halfway in. Got out, felt it in my fingers & tasted it...very sharp & bittery. Not enough lighting to see the color, but it's a clean oil and not motor oil, so will have to check again later tonight or tomorrow with the shop lights on. Think it's a P/S leak. After 25 years, my '97 Sport is actually leaking something for the first time in her life. Can't wait for 2022 to be over...been a schiffshow of a year in so many ways.

·
SuperNewbie
4,584 Posts
What a timely post. Tonight, pulling into the garage, I noticed a not-minor puddle of something on the floor and stopped halfway in. Got out, felt it in my fingers & tasted it...very sharp & bittery. Not enough lighting to see the color, but it's a clean oil and not motor oil, so will have to check again later tonight or tomorrow with the shop lights on. Think it's a P/S leak. After 25 years, my '97 Sport is actually leaking something for the first time in her life. Can't wait for 2022 to be over...been a schiffshow of a year in so many ways.
In your case you may have a leaky hose.

Reactions: NEURO

·
Registered
157 Posts
In your case you may have a leaky hose.
God, I hope so and not a leaky rack. Even a leaking pump is easy-peasy to replace.

Edit later tonight: Crawled under her...it's a coolant leak. Consulted with @supergordo and he advised tightening loose hose clamps.

·
SuperNewbie
4,584 Posts
God, I hope so and not a leaky rack. Even a leaking pump is easy-peasy to replace.

Edit later tonight: Crawled under her...it's a coolant leak. Consulted with @supergordo and he advised tightening loose hose clamps.
Thankfully it isn't the rack. But I've done so many Tbird racks I don't find it that hard really.

Reactions: NEURO

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
My hands will not go in there to do the rack; next time, I paid. The racks seem to die about at about233k miles. :)

Reactions: supergordo
1 - 10 of 10 Posts