TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
a few questions...maf/state inspections/bushings

1) I cleaned my maf(1997 4.6L) 5000 miles ago; The wires were very dark/black to begin with; a lot of it went away, however at the end, the filaments (both) still looked a little brownish on the air-flow side;

should they really look shiny like some say? how can it look so shiny with the plasticky material coating it anyway?but perhaps it should...???
I was afraid to spray more cleaner, thinking I would damage the wires(I didn't use the q-tip either). I used radioshack electrical contact cleaner, btw.

How would THIS work:?(crazy idea???)

what if I filled a really small glass(a beaker) with the contact/brake cleaner/windex, turned the maf upside down with ONLY the wires dipped/immersed in the cleaning fluid, and let it "soak" for a long while, many hours? (the plastic platform will rest on the rim of the glass, so it won't fall in to the cleaner). This will eliminate any harsh spraying/physical touching, I think. Has anybody ever tried this method?

2) I'll be moving to Buies Creek, NC in July. Do they have state inspections/emmision inspections there??
if yes, what do they measure/inspect exactly?(my car has 92k miles now, and the wife's car only 8k.(2003 Elantra)
how does one get ready for such?

Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I personally wouldn't soak it. I'd just take a q-tip, make sure its a really tightly wound one with no loose cotton and then ever so slightly drag it across the wires. You'll soon learn that the wires are a bit tougher than people make them out to be, but by no means scrub on the things hard.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts