TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad to say my car failed vehicle inspection last week. Apparently the parking brake is supposed to hold the vehicle up to 1000 rpm. (dunno where they dreamed that up, or how they test a stick shift...)

I did learn a bit... At 160K the factory drum rears are almost tits up. The "adjusters" gave up a long time ago. The spare is flat, and the lug wrench grew legs and walked off...

I was able to adjust the brakes enough to pass inspection.

I have a rear disc swap that's been lurking in my garage for a couple of years now, seems like a good time to me.

The moral of the story is check check your spare, if you have drums they prolly need help, and check your tools.

In the mean time I'm looking for the right tool for the rear disc brakes. The universal too doesn't cut the mustard...

·
Registered
219 Posts
inspection ??????? da-- we havent even had inspections for anything under a 1 ton truck here for years ........ there are more than a few uncared for rides around here too that really need to be off the road and it would help but we have enough dain red tape and intervention for our own " safety " here as it is . hold yer car to 1000 rpm huh ? ok i'm with you on that one that is never gonna happen period unless you drive a tricycle with a briggs on it and change your name to artie johnson ........... cripes you could just about move most cars your self pushing with the e brake on even when they're new .

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
In the mean time I'm looking for the right tool for the rear disc brakes. The universal too doesn't cut the mustard...
I am a TX inspector and to test the parking brake, I just apply it and see if it can idle itself to move. I dont know where they got that 1000rpm, i'll check out my manual today if I get time.

On the tool, are you talking about that little POS cube that they sell really cheap? It does work, but it sucks. In the past I used to use a small press on the piston(use it very lightly, I mean) to push in the piston as I screwed it in with channel locks. It has never failed me, but I got to use my new tool thats supposed to work on different cars. It comes in a case and looks almost like a regular piston press, but has little round fittings with tits in the right spot to engage the piston, this thing was bad ass. I'm talking like less than a minute and the piston was in. I'm glad I found an alternative to the channel locks since they increase the chances of ripping the piston boot!
-Rob

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
yeah I forgot to look in my book at work, but I agree that they probably made it up. 1000rpm isnt all that much more than idle speed anyway. Let us know how the spanner wrench works.
-Rob

·
The Parts Guy
7,307 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
I used a pair of long needle nose pliers, and sort of pushed on the ends, while grabbing it in such a way that I could also squeeze them.... It hurt the meat of my hand but I did get it done without deforming the piston in anyway.

I had to wear a big welding glove on the second one because my hand hurt like hell lol.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am a TX inspector and to test the parking brake, I just apply it and see if it can idle itself to move. I dont know where they got that 1000rpm, i'll check out my manual today if I get time.

On the tool, are you talking about that little POS cube that they sell really cheap? It does work, but it sucks. In the past I used to use a small press on the piston(use it very lightly, I mean) to push in the piston as I screwed it in with channel locks. It has never failed me, but I got to use my new tool thats supposed to work on different cars. It comes in a case and looks almost like a regular piston press, but has little round fittings with tits in the right spot to engage the piston, this thing was bad ass. I'm talking like less than a minute and the piston was in. I'm glad I found an alternative to the channel locks since they increase the chances of ripping the piston boot!
-Rob
In NY the brake has to hold under "moderate acceleration" and have some reserve when applied. You can get your car inspected here at jiffy lube type places, and the cowboys there will sometimes really rev it up and fail you if it moves.

·
Banned
754 Posts
I checked my car out, my brakes are pretty well new (not many miles on them) and I can't get to 1000rpm. I would say it starts to move about 800rpm or so, by 1000 I'm rolling.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the drums adjusted my car barely held at 1K I'm pretty sure it's their rule of thumb they adopted for the flunky inspection techs. Prolly works well for lil 4-bangers...

I still haven't haven't gotten around to that disc swap, but I must say that adjusting the rears made a world of difference in the feel of the brake pedal.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i'm gonna ask and it may seem stupid , but what hades does the ebrake holding you in place at 1000 rpm gotta do with anything in a safety inspection ????????????? in the trucks i drive for a living yeah it's imperitave they work as they should but even at idle if you put it in gear one of these big ol' diesels will over power the air brakes and roll , just not as fast as if they weren't working . a contractor i know found out the hard way as he let his equipment go to sh-- and as he got out of his truck { set the park brake on air system } and forgot it was in gear / reverse and now he's paying to rebuild the back wall of a post office .............. in a car i can't see why it would even matter . if the brakes themselves in proper working order and the car is deemed safe who cares about the e brake ???? i don't know about you but when i park my 53 anytime on a grade or not , and it's got a 4 speed and an e brake that works , i put it in gear just to be safe . most new cars are automatics , and if park is outta your tranny well ............ i know also that the ebrake is what runs self adjusters in the brakes on most cars , but they don't work so well as i have to adjust mine a little by hand every time in the 53 . it's got brand new self adjusters , e brake cables the whole shmear from a 68- 79 ford truck { they fit and interchange with no mods } and it's all in proper working order . so why again are they even worried ???????????????

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
They call it an "emergency brake" for a reason I suppose. If you had no other brakes, you still have a little something to help stop you. Or maybe they call it that because it prevents emergencies. :) I'm not much of a stickler on the parking brake and it only seems "useful" to me in standard tansmission applications

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i'm gonna ask and it may seem stupid , but what hades does the ebrake holding you in place at 1000 rpm gotta do with anything in a safety inspection ????????????? in the trucks i drive for a living yeah it's imperitave they work as they should but even at idle if you put it in gear one of these big ol' diesels will over power the air brakes and roll , just not as fast as if they weren't working . a contractor i know found out the hard way as he let his equipment go to sh-- and as he got out of his truck { set the park brake on air system } and forgot it was in gear / reverse and now he's paying to rebuild the back wall of a post office .............. in a car i can't see why it would even matter . if the brakes themselves in proper working order and the car is deemed safe who cares about the e brake ???? i don't know about you but when i park my 53 anytime on a grade or not , and it's got a 4 speed and an e brake that works , i put it in gear just to be safe . most new cars are automatics , and if park is outta your tranny well ............ i know also that the ebrake is what runs self adjusters in the brakes on most cars , but they don't work so well as i have to adjust mine a little by hand every time in the 53 . it's got brand new self adjusters , e brake cables the whole shmear from a 68- 79 ford truck { they fit and interchange with no mods } and it's all in proper working order . so why again are they even worried ???????????????
Like rob said its in case there is a brake failure. brake lines can rot away and leak, good to know you have something that can act as a backup. Our cars have ebrakes integrated into the calipers(if you have 4w disc) too, they usually do not need any adjustment.

·
Registered
235 Posts
At the place I went to here in Abilene they just made sure the e-brake held the car at idle. I do sometimes miss OK and their not having state inspections.

·
Registered
219 Posts
the only problem with the theory of having a backup " emergency " system is this .... the person behind the wheel ! how many folks even realize the thing is there or that you can use it if you had too ??? not many in the general public i'd be willing to wager on . i wish mine had a hand brake ... it'd make going sideways around corners a lot more fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts