TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Maybe you can help. I'm a member at F150online and there is a guy there who is having an abrupt shifting problem. the way I understand it, he put a '96 4r70w from an F150 into his 2002 F150. He says everything matched up when he put it in the truck. He says that it shifts so hard from 1rst. to 2nd. that it feels like the truck is gonna break in two. He says it does it going into 3rd. but not as severe. I suggested to him that it may be modified, but he doesn't seem to think so. I told him to come here for some answers. Could it be that it's modified and just shifting really hard? Or does it sound like a problem? He seems to think there may be a problem with his pin outs.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
If someone had jmodded the 96 4r70w, that would account for the hard 1-2 shift. At the most "open" setting, you can really chirp the tires and it would be absolutely unpleasant to drive on the street (perhaps similar to what he's observed).

All that's involved is drilling out a few holes.
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/page13.shtml

-g

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Has a broken 1-2 accumulater spring

·
Registered
631 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Uncaged 94:
FWIW, opening it up merely means dropping the transmission pan to gain access to the valve control body. It's kinda messy and you'll be spending a few bucks on transmission fluid but with an F150 at least you should have no problems getting underneath it.

While underneath there, depending on the level of wear, you may also consider replacing the pressure regulator valve and solenoid (discussed in that link I posted previously). Wear on these items can cause hesitation for the car to get into gear initially and while you are up in there, you might as well swap them out (ex: you go from Neutral to first but when you step on the gas there's a slight hesitation before the car starts moving).

-g

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Also the 94-97 were bad to break the spring on the 1-2

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I third the broken 1-2 spring theory...

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I knew this was the place to find the answer. I'll post this info up over there. Thanks again!:)

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
& It's always said that the Truck 4R70w Main VB's were 'diiferent" ... & certainly any 2002 Main VB better than a stock 96 Main VB so if he has his prior 2002 Main VB & it's clean then he might want to swap that too while he's in there - In all lilelihood the 96 aint 100% Stock or it would be dead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts