TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, based on something that came up on another thread, I'm starting a list of known problems that affect most 4.6l cars.

As there are differences in the 94-95 and 96-97 cars, when you post a common problem, list which years, which body, and any other pertinent info, so we can keep things straight.

As an example:

A lot of 97 cars have bad EECs; if you had one go bad, list when it failed and what catch code it is, as well as year and model of your car.
My 97 Tbird EEC failed, it was code FTE1. It was bad when I bought the car; poor shifting, and erratic operation.

Another Example:
Plastic Intakes were a factory recall; I broke one in 2000, on my 96 Cougar, Lazarus.

Not an Example:
I broke every stock transmission I had. :) Replaced them with better. :D
Not an example, because I BROKE them. If I drove like a decent human being, that wouldn't be an issue. :)

Last example:
Every stock 4.6l engine will wear out the valve stem seals by ~220k miles, if they're not already bad. :)
If you have a 94-95, you should save up for a pi swap.
Adding ~1/2 qt tranny fluid to the oil with help with the smoke at stoplights.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
94 EEC and hanging injectors. I have never seen a bad 97 EEC, but plenty of 94s that fill a cylinder with fuel because the driver in the EEC leaves it open

96-97 revised Ford nPI intake failing at the rear pressed in heater hose nipple, failing as often as it being plastic and cracking

96-97 wires near EGR tube/DPFE that melt, short together, and cause the car to stall and not start. Indications are SES light does NOT illuminate in KOEOff and cooling fan runs constantly

93-98 4v and the oil filter adapter gasket leaking. MUCH more prevalent in the Teksid block, I guess due to the block being aluminum. Might be reported more because harder to replace than 2v MN12 and Panthers

94-95 and valve stem guides/seals. MUCH more of an issue than 96-97. Up to temp, idle at a stop light, take off, big cloud of smoke. Replace seals helps, but guides cause seals to wear out fast, also valve seal material is improved

·
Registered
966 Posts
Aren't the 96-97 4.6s NPI as well? Is there an inherent design flaw with the 94-95 NPI motors?
94/95 had issues with the valve stems guides and seals going bad a lot sooner than the 96/97 ones do. I believe he's saying save for new (used) PI heads because the factory heads for 94/95 are basically worth the scrap price. The PI cams don't fit in them. 96/97 you can swap in PI cams and intake manifold and make ~240-260 Crank HP with a tune.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mine has the valve seal issue, but it's fairly minor. Only smokes when it's fully warmed up and have been idling in a drive-through for nearly 10 mins. Doesn't smoke until I pull out on the road afterwards and then accelerate. Also causes minor oil consumption (obviously).

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
-94/95 cars EGR passages get clogged up under the intake elbow, symptom is CEL and code for EGR insufficient flow

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Every stock 4.6l engine will wear out the valve stem seals by ~220k miles, if they're not already bad. :)
Someone better tell my car then cause it only has 8k till that mark. Minor smoking under initial hard acceleration, but nothing to worry about at this point (knocks on wood).

-94/95 cars EGR passages get clogged up under the intake elbow, symptom is CEL and code for EGR insufficient flow
It is a fairly straightforward cleaning of that passage, though tedious. Someone should make that a sticky as some guys still pull the EGR valve, which is a royal PITA and does nothing to clean that passage.

Al

·
Super Moderator
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking of the 4.6l engine issues specifically; a General Tech thread should catch all the chassis issues. :)

This came up in Torques PI thread.

EECs are kinda chassis, but it shows up as an engine problem.

Transmissions die in 5.0 cars, but they didn't upgrade the diff for nothing. :) Our cars kill them better than most others, lol.

As far as moving it, I'm not partial; whatever you think. :)

I was thinking that since I started it I would go back and keep a total of the more reported issues as the posts (hopefully) increase, in the first post in the thread.

This may help keep u on point:
Transmissions really aren't an issue for this thread; all the stock ones suck.
The best replacement I've found cheap is a 02 Gran Marquis transmission with low miles.
If you want better, there are many people who will build you one to spec, including RobertP. He's good.
A new TC and 02 transmission will pretty much cure any tranny problem, unless you have over stock HP going on.
Search to see how to install it it your car, it's different on a 94-95 than a 96-97.

:)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
waste spark system eating one bank of fine-wire spark-plugs in 10k on all MN12 4.6. app104 only :)

old 94-95 4.6 vacuum leaks at the back of the intake manifold. can be either the large tee on the passenger side, or the elbow on the driver side. both of which are attached the the vacuum scavenging orifice for all the intake ports.

MAF getting dirty/failing and causing loss of power, missfires, dying, etc.

·
Registered
179 Posts
94 EEC and hanging injectors. I have never seen a bad 97 EEC, but plenty of 94s that fill a cylinder with fuel because the driver in the EEC leaves it open
I may have this issue with my car. I have bad fuel economy and smell gas most of the time when driving the car. It also bogs down when I floor it or when I first crank it from a cold start and try to rev it up, it will bog in between 2k and 4k rpm. It throws lean codes for both banks from time to time and I have tried cleaning MAF and changed fuel filter.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Someone better tell my car then cause it only has 8k till that mark. Minor smoking under initial hard acceleration, but nothing to worry about at this point (knocks on wood).

It is a fairly straightforward cleaning of that passage, though tedious. Someone should make that a sticky as some guys still pull the EGR valve, which is a royal PITA and does nothing to clean that passage.

Al
I've been looking for a thread on cleaning that passage myself. I'm getting the insufficient flow message in my OBD2 reader but just assumed that 215k miles had done in the EGR valve. Is there an existing one around, or what was your process?

·
Super Moderator
9,141 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I've been looking for a thread on cleaning that passage myself. I'm getting the insufficient flow message in my OBD2 reader but just assumed that 215k miles had done in the EGR valve. Is there an existing one around, or what was your process?
Your '97 is going to have a different setup, much easier to clean. You still remove the TB elbow to clean it.

At least if it is the EGR, it is a 10 minute job to change, VS 10 days for the 94-95's.

And cheap too. I just paid close to $200 for an '04 EGR - all the electronics are right on the EGR.

Al

1 - 20 of 43 Posts