TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i sold my bird. my cousin bought it off of me for 700.00 bucks. i just wanted it off my insurance. the only thing is i wanted to see it hit its 200,000 mile birthday. it only had 8,000 more to go :( oh well. another thing i miss driving it when i need to, like the onter day.

i figured out just how much power that new truck of mine had. :D enough to blow apart every gear in the rear end. so i opened it up and the ring had 10 teeth missing the pinion had 2 missing. the center spidergears had 3-4 a piece missing. i opened the rear cover and chunks just fell out. and those gears were only 2 years old from the service records. so i had to replace them all. got my first experience in differential work. it really wasnt bad at all. everything came out easy and went back in good. but the 32" by 11.5" tires and the 425 ft.lbs of torque that thing is producing doesnt help. it takes alot more pressure on those gears to burn those big tires.

just saying i finally got rid of my bird. and figured out how much power that 5.9 has compared to my bird.

ill never go back to a v6 :D

quite random i know but just a fun little experience

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
ok lol once again U DO NOT have that much torque bud your engine is stock except for the chip u said. At most your putting down is 180-200 to the wheels and hell no your not at 425 ft lbs of torque stop LIEING to everyone until u prove me wrong your engine is stock in everyway possible

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
dont take this the wrong way yes your dakota has some decent torque but like in your post were u said you 5.9l was putting out like 300 hp was just false theres no aftermarket intake on there its the OEM barrel intake and even if it was ported you would want to have matching heads ect and even then 425ft lbs of torque is far fetched unless u SC it. Iv actually got a 2000 dakota now and luv it u planning on putting a brush guard on the front or anything??

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
the rear end blew up like that cause its a dodge duh:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My durango has 116,000 miles on it. My girlfriend drives it daily. I have towed the Bird and a 99 Cobra for over 100 miles. It has been on off-road trails and non-trails. The rear-end is fine.

How did you do that? What were you doing?

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
*sigh*

ETA: The only 2 engines in the entire Dodge truck lineup that produces that kind of torque are the 5.9L I6 Cummins (160-215 hp & 420-440 ft-lb) and the 8.0L V10 (300hp & 440-450 ft-lb). If you really think that a hot air intake and a chip is making your 5.9L V8 (which is rated at 245-250hp and 335-345ft-lb stock) put out 320 hp and 425 ft-lb's of torque, then I have some beautiful ocean from property in Oklahoma to sell you.

My money on the reason for why that rear went out was because of the driving style of past and present drivers. My grandfather had an 87 Dakota with the 3.9 that didn't need any work on the diff until 2000 . . . and that's only because he abuses the hell out of stuff so he can have an excuse to buy new.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
I thought the biggest a dakota came with was the 318 5.2?

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
FWIW, the rear end was probably put together wrong 2 years ago, thats why it went. Not from your "awesome" torque rating.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
The 5.9 puts out more power then you think. Horsepower is nothing to brag about in these engines but Torque is where they shine. I know that my Jeep came stock with about 255hp and 355 ft/lbs of torque at the engine. Those arent the official numbers but the 5.9 Jeeps have been known to be underrated from the factory.

Right now i have an Intake and exhaust on my jeep, now i have never had it on the dyno but people with the same mods are experiencing about 270-275hp and about 375 ft/lbs.

With the Mopar ECU, i would be right under 300hp and 400 ft/lbs.

AT THE ENGINE!!!! (not wheels)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
hey hey wait wait if he sold the bird does that mean he wont be around here anymore????? LOL just playing

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
so weres the owner of this thread i love how he starts this dumb threads that make him look dumb then doesnt respond lol

And for the chevy comment the reason i said that is because my friends and family and at my old work all had chevys and they were complete crap. Especially at my work the 2500hds we had were awful anyways lets get back on track here lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts