TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FINALLY!!

I installed my Explorer engine w/the VT cams this weekend, along with the Marauder TC. The swap went pretty smooth, except for the typical broken bolts and skinned knuckes.

It started right up the first time and the hydraulic lifters pumped themselves up right away (I was relieved that I put the timing chains on right).:uppoint:

I have been taking it easy, but I can def tell there is significantly more HP there! The TC is sweet; I like the way the car drives with the looser convertor.

I also installed the Comp cams valve springs, which are recommended for these cams. These cams are wicked! My car has a distinct 'muscle car' sound to it now. It has a nice lopey idle like I wanted and still has enough vacuum to operate the brakes as before. The difference in the sound of this car is incredible! Although I made no changes to the exhaust system, the exhaust note sounds soooo sweet now. Now I need to get a dyno-tune to maximize the new combination.

Anyone considering cams for their car should consider http://www.vtengines.com/index.html#. Their quality and service are excellent, and a lot of guys on the depot are having incredible dyno results with their cams (hopefully me too:D ).

Frank

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Good Job!!!!!! It sounds like you are happy. I know a lot of people wanted to know about the VT cams with the power brakes, and since that seems to not be a problem, I would suspect that they'll be getting a lot more orders from us MN12 guys now.

Now get that thing dynotuned and post some numbers!!!!!:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question for the Tbird gods:

Should I upgrade my injectors and/or fuel pump with my new combo? Do I need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? My current fordchip is programmed for the 02 Mustang mass air that I have, with the stock injectors (19lb?).

If I need any of these parts I want to order them before my dyno tune on July 25th...

Thanks in advance for any advice

Frank

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
did you get stage 1 or stage 2s?

you won't need 24s yet, but if you plan on N2O or some other signifigant mods, you should get them now so you need one less tune.

the 02 GT MAF will be fine.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
if the heads are stock unported you should be fine, if you add any sort of power adder, of coarse upgrade to the 24'ers, but for now 19 is fine if your heads are stock porting, seeing as they have those valves in there :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greenbird,

I went with the Stage IIs. Jim at VT says the only time he recommends going with Stage Is is if the customer doesn't want to change the valve springs.

Thanks for the responses guys, it's good to know I don't need to spend more $$ on injectors! I sure have dumped a lot into this car over the last few weeks.

Now I need to figure out which upper plenum to go with (Accufab, C&L, etc) and hopefully get it tuned at the NMRA event at the end of the month.:D

Frank

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
try modulardepot.com

They sell them there for $569. and you can read all about them from happy customers and the guys from VT engines who frequent the site also.

Frank

·
Registered
926 Posts
this is a little off topic but Is it true that the stock cams are better for SC applications??.
Anyway congrats on your new engine , your gonna love it, just check the oil frequently if its really new like mine was 3 miles on it!!!.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lazania,

I'm not a cam expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know certain cams are designed specifically for forced induction. It has something to do with maintaining cylinder pressure. Cams like the ones I have have valve overlap which helps the engine pump more air by 'scavenging'. While this is good for NA applications, it is bad for boost. Most cam manufacturers make cam grinds specifically for forced induction applications.

I have read that the PI cams are pretty good for boost because they do not have any (or very little) valve overlap, to answer your question.

Thanks for the advice, I will check the oil often...my Explorer engine only has 3K miles :D

·
Registered
926 Posts
awsome, by the way do you have heat??, becuase ever since I installed my motor I dont have heat and the lines are not crossed I also burped the system, but I dont know what it could be.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, my heat seems to work fine in spite of the fact that this new engine runs a lot cooler than my old one (according to the gauge).

If your car is like mine and has the electronic heater controls, you may wanna double check that the sensor in the heater hose is plugged in. (It's right between the firewall and the engine).:zdunno: I think that sensor 'tells' the heater controls that the engine is warmed up enough to allow the heat to turn on. Probably worth a look....

Frank

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am going to be putting a set of VT stage 2's in my stroker (5.1) as well. I was turned on to VT by Jeff at the Ford Racing tech line, they were highly recommended over the other cam manufacturers out there.

Glad to hear you like the cams, I can't wait to get mine in, according to the guys at VT these cams love all the displacement they can get in the strokers.

VT does make a cam specifically for blower applications for the one who asked earlier.

·
Registered
926 Posts
fsh167 said:
Yea, my heat seems to work fine in spite of the fact that this new engine runs a lot cooler than my old one (according to the gauge).

If your car is like mine and has the electronic heater controls, you may wanna double check that the sensor in the heater hose is plugged in. (It's right between the firewall and the engine).:zdunno: I think that sensor 'tells' the heater controls that the engine is warmed up enough to allow the heat to turn on. Probably worth a look....

Frank
I checked the sensor , but I started a new thread about this and I just found out I might have the one hose connected to the wrong place on the manifold. If you could post some pics of how you have yours setup that would be awsome. Also maybe a pic of your PCV and how you routed your vac lines on the Tbody plenum. Thanks :)

As far as the cams go, What kind of gains would you see Asperated going with the VT blower cam Vs Stock PI cam???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts