Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
BRING IT!!!
I'm ready.

Why do they name hurricanes after women?

Because the come in wet and wild and when they leave they take your house and your car!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Why do they name hurricanes after women?

Because the come in wet and wild and when they leave they take your house and your car!
:D

Everyone stay safe. Katrina taught me to respect hurricanes.

·
Administrator
745 Posts
All joking aside, they are calling this a major storm. Combining Sandy with a cold front and coming
in off the east coast. If you have generators, I would suggest filling some gas cans. And be sure
you have some canned food too.
We got lucky here - school closed 3 hours early yesterday and all day today as school buses
can't run if the winds are to be above 35 mph.
Stay safe everyone!

As for the name, they alternate. The next named storm would be Tony, followed by Valerie and then William.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very right Mrs T, We that have been trough these things understand what goes on some times :eek: , and my work load goes up when communications go down.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
All joking aside, they are calling this a major storm. Combining Sandy with a cold front and coming
in off the east coast. If you have generators, I would suggest filling some gas cans. And be sure
you have some canned food too.
We got lucky here - school closed 3 hours early yesterday and all day today as school buses
can't run if the winds are to be above 35 mph.
Stay safe everyone!

As for the name, they alternate. The next named storm would be Tony, followed by Valerie and then William.
No name with a U ???

·
Administrator
745 Posts
They didn't use Q, U, X, Y or Z. I forget how they change the naming when they get past W.
Okay, after Wilma in 2005, they went to Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon and Zeta.
I would be happy if this was the last named storm to threaten the FL coast :)

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
They didn't use Q, U, X, Y or Z. I forget how they change the naming when they get past W.
Okay, after Wilma in 2005, they went to Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon and Zeta.
I would be happy if this was the last named storm to threaten the FL coast :)
I don't know - it's been pretty warm, so I wouldn't count on it.

·
Administrator
8,011 Posts
We might get clipped as it passes by, looks like landfall will be in the Jersey area. Heavy rain and high winds are in the forecast. I'll be cleaning out the gutters later! :eek:

Joe

·
Administrator
8,011 Posts
Thanks Darren! :)

Looks like Halloween might be postponed up here again, depending on how bad it is. Last year we got hit with that snowstorm! :thumbsd:

Joe

·
Registered
126 Posts
Best of luck to everyone.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Just sittin here watching wind and rain. I have to go to NOB at 1700. I have watch tonight out on the piers in a Fixed fighting position so I should have a great view. I was supposed to go in Friday and last night but was able to stay home because we went to a low manning status but that means I only have to work one day this week .

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spotty showers and wind around here , Bringing the leaves down for sure. Winds out of the NNW at 20 to 25 mph. some gusts to 40. :zwall: more so tomorrow .

·
Administrator
8,011 Posts
I just got the power back about an hour and a half ago. A tree came down up the street and took all the lines down! :mad:

A bit of a mess to clean up but nothing like what the NYC/ Jersey area got hit with! Hope everyone is safe and sound!

Joe

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad to hear you are fine up there Joe, I will be on a plane tomorrow to Philly for some work in jersey (had a feeling I would be ). Was very windy here as well .

·
Super Moderator
9,188 Posts
Had 50-60 MPH winds here, storm surge off lake Erie closed down sections of I-90 and also got about 4 inches of rain since yesterday. Didn't go in to work today either, all the schools had no power... still about 150,000 in the area without.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Had 50-60 MPH winds here, storm surge off lake Erie closed down sections of I-90 and also got about 4 inches of rain since yesterday. Didn't go in to work today either, all the schools had no power... still about 150,000 in the area without.
It wasn't quite that windy out this way, but it did Snow for the first time this year.. :(

Hopefully everyone makes out ok..

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
11,929 Posts
I just got the power back about an hour and a half ago. A tree came down up the street and took all the lines down! :mad:

A bit of a mess to clean up but nothing like what the NYC/ Jersey area got hit with! Hope everyone is safe and sound!

Joe
Glad your made it through ok Joe. Drink a pumpkin ale for me it'll be alright. :tongue:

Man, I miss that stuff! LOL

Glad to hear you are fine up there Joe, I will be on a plane tomorrow to Philly for some work in jersey (had a feeling I would be ). Was very windy here as well .
Safe travels Darren. I hope your back by Thanksgiving for the meet.

I heard the flights are a mess right now with the disruptions caused by the storm yesterday Lots of stranded people, delays and limited flight service, etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts