TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I keep it under 2500 rpm while accelerating, it goes good and runns fine. I know 2500 isn't [email protected]#t when romping on it. When it accelerates any higher than 2.5K is sounds horrible. Kinda V.W. ish, maybe not so extream. I have heard that it might be coil packs (DIS). If they where going bad wouldn't it be all the time? If so, why only durring a load condition? Eric

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
How old are the plugs and wires?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plugs about 4 months wires...I think they are 12 months old. I have 140,000 miles on her...Original Coil packs. Which plugs are the most reliable? Eric

·
Registered
663 Posts
Change your fuel filter yet? What do you mean by VW? If sounds like marbles under the hood at high RPMs, you are pinging and it could be bad gas, worn plugs, timing could be off, MAF may need to be cleaned. 2500 RPM is pretty low to ping, but with a chip and regular unleaded, mine starts pinging around 2500 as well.
Easiest/cheapest to most expensive:
1. clean MAF- do it often if you run a K&N
2. check all your plug wires by pulling them up and reseating them on the plug and coil.
3. change the fuel filter if you haven't in the last 50,000 miles. Get the small plastic ring tool form any autoparts store.
4. install new plugs and wires: for some reason our birds tend to eat them often (every 30k to 40k miles for mine)

My car pings badly anytime I use anything less than superunleaded. I even pulled my octane pin and it still pinged madly. I guess I spoiled her and she'll only drink top shelf. I have a chip, but it shouldn't matter with the octane pin pulled. I even use 12c plugs. Ah well.
Speaking of plugs, go with Motorcraft copper. Do search for the exact number, but it will have 32c in it for stock heat range and conductor material (copper). I don't know what Superchips suggests, but Reinhart sent me 12c with my chip. If you decide to buy plugs and wires, order from Dan Newman at CooperAuto Group for a great price. I wish I had his number handy, but you can search it out on this site.

B

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
ThunderB said:
... My car pings badly anytime I use anything less than super-unleaded. I even pulled my octane pin and it still pinged madly. ...
I fought a pinging problem for a good 3 years and FINALLY found the culprit: A small vacuum leak. :D

My leak was the elbow going to the evaporative canister. It was split on the bottom side and I couldn’t see or hear it, but it was letting in un-metered air. :mad:

Have it checked for vacuum leaks with a smoke machine. :D

Just some thoughts, and I also agree to clean the MAF. :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts