TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the sears near me (burlington center mall burlington NJ) i found out when i took a friend's car there (he supplied the oil, said that if i borrow the car i had to get it done, in return for the favor) and used his oil, they only charged me 10 for the service. In theory you could show up with synthetic oil and a high end filter, still just 10 bucks. no mess no fuss, etc. and even get an alignment check with that fee.

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
Huh. I'll have to check into that.

It's a bit too cold for ME to lay on the ground, but the Dakota is at about 5,000 miles on the current oil change (well, on the filter - by now, between leakage and burning, I've probably done a full oil change ... )

RwP

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Cold as it is, probably worth it! What about greasing the fittings?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Hrm. I'll have to look at that as well. My local shop charges $20 for a change with my oil + my filter.
-g

·
Registered
256 Posts
I used to take my own oil and filter to my local FORD dealer, and get it changed, fluids topped off and tires rotated for $25.00 + tax. I thought that was fair.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I used to take my own oil and filter to my local FORD dealer, and get it changed, fluids topped off and tires rotated for $25.00 + tax. I thought that was fair.
My local Ford dealer charges $25.00 which includes the oil, filter, all fluids topped, a hand wash and vacuum.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I'm amazed at the delta in shop labor costs around the country. I'd love to pay $10 for an oil change but I seriously doubt that anyone would do it in the Bay Area for that price :)
-g

·
Super Moderator
10,303 Posts
If I take my car anywhere here to get the oil changed, I get paged to get the oil filter off. :facepalm:

And then paged again for back on, usually. :D

Walmart 5 qts synthetic~$25, RA filter~$3; 20 minutes tops on ramps.

Much easier to do myself. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,303 Posts
Usually an oil change place requires someone other than me to sit in my car at some point, which is a big nono. I prefer getting dirty myself to that :D
This is an issue for me as well...

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I took my Mustang to a shop once, and heard it stall as the porter drove it in. A second later I could hear one of the techs call out, "haha, you can't drive stick!"

Do I have to do everything myself...?

(not an option, I was in for an alignment which I can't do at home. Also blah blah insurance regs blah blah no they won't let me drive it in...)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Say what?

Toe-in, and toe-out can be set at home with a tape measure.

Caster/camber can be set with a gauge like this one. It has a magnet on the end which will stick to the wheel bearing dust cap, or for the rear, on the end of the axle.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I've seen instructions on DIY alignments, but they always looked like way too much time and effort. I'd just as soon pay $40 once a year or so.

But that's for a daily driver... If I needed alignments more often, I might change my mind.

That Longacre tool is pretty cool; I've never seen one of those. According to their website, it's accurate to 1/4°!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts