TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I haven't really had any time to diagnose my new-headgaskets-but-coolant-still-burns-and-comes-out-of-the-exhaust problem but I found my problem today. :D The passenger side headgasket is leaking. I took the #3 cylinder spark plug out and it was drenched in coolant. The driver's side spark plugs look perfect. My question to you guys before I take this thing apart is:

Should I try a headgasket sealant before I remove the heads?

Should I check the drivers side headgasket even though it is new and nothing is wrong with it? I don't really want to take it off because that might cause a leak on that side also.

Any tips and suggestions would be great. I have a haynes repair manual to guide me through this.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I wouldnt do a sealant at all,, its mainly for slow seeping gaskets,, not all out failures.

If the other side is fine then leave it alone. mostly likely something went wrong during the install or maybe the cylinder head is cracked or warped.

Have the heads checked by a machine shop that can tell if its cracked or warped.

Also,, when you pull the heads off take care as to not damage the leaking gasket and if you can take some good pics of it and post em up.. most likely by just looking you can see why it failed.

Brad

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The heads were machined before the new hgs were put in. I have never driven the car, only started it in my driveway. I didn't drive it because the thermostat would creep up slowly past the "norm", most likely because of this, or maybe a bad water pump. With that being said I don't the hg failed, the problem was already there.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
hmm. seems to be teh same thing tat happened to mine.. the hg's are getting replaced now.. along with a valve job.. my water pump is appparently new, so that cant be the problem... i just hope it is fixed after i get done dumping the 700 bucks into it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hi guys i took the intake manifold off and found this. My question is: Should I keep going and take off the heads to check the gaskets? There is a mess of silicone gunk around the holes where the intake gaskets would go (from the man who repaired my gaskets) and now I'm questioning whether my headgasket is leaking or if it was the intake gasket leaking into the cylinder. But this picture shows oil and coolant mixed. Taking the head off is easy, but I'm afraid of putting it back on and having it leak. :tongue: Any tips? Thanks! =)

·
Registered
718 Posts
maybe the front timing cover gasket failed? the coolant port is next to the oil port.

lets get some better pics of the gasket material thats there.. did you peel it away already?

Wanted to add that any time a gasket is replaced,, I do a coolant pressure check just to make sure. these can be rented at autozone

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

How likely is it that the front timing cover gasket failed? Keep in mind that there was coollant in cylinder 3. I'll post more pics tomorrow.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
scotteiboi said:
How likely is it that the front timing cover gasket failed? Keep in mind that there was coollant in cylinder 3. I'll post more pics tomorrow.
I am willing to put money on this theory:

your lower intake gasket was leaking. Its easier for those to leak than it is the headgasket. Most people dont properly torque the lower intake manifold. I go over mine at least 3 times on the final torque spec in the proper sequence.

This would explain your coolant in cylinder 3, it is right beside the coolant port. It also explains the oil in the lifter valley.

-Thomas

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yes you are right. Thank you for posting. I was certain that was also the problem. And now i have confirmed that it IS the problem. Now I can get on my way and put it all back together. Thank you Thomas! :D

·
Registered
718 Posts
I like the theory above,, would be a great time to do a compression test while intake is off.

I always use felpro gaskets and a good torque wrench plus I also add a lil Grey RTV to the gaskets just where the coolant port is. not alot just enough to make it tacky.

·
8,978 Posts
mm hmm, deffinetely do a compression test now while you have it apart, so you dont have to take it apart again...again.
-Thomas

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well unfortunately, replacing the intake manifold gaskets did nothing. Water still drips out of the exhaust and the car still runs poorly. I'm at the end of my rope here. Not sure what to do with the dang thing. My only other assumption is that the headgasket did not seal upon installation. I am having it towed to a shop where they can tell me whats wrong with it.

·
Banned
538 Posts
NAPA sells a headgasket leak detection kit, for like 50.00 i believe that it's called a block tester. Been a while. invest in that since it's a 3.8L , it's cheaper than a tow.

·
8,978 Posts
Did You Do A Compression Test???????

·
Banned
538 Posts
What He said..........

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

No. The man who installed the new heads and gaskets did all of that for me. The compression test may have revealed a problem but he did not mention it. I guess I am too trusting. I will pick up a compression test kit today.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hate to bring the bad news to you, but I don't think your motor is going to last much longer even if you sort out the leak...

You have alot of coolant in the oil, and that is NOT a good mix when it comes to the bottom end, and bearings, especially since you have been running the motor like that.

I'd be looking for another motor to use, or do a complete rebuild on the one you have.

Good luck

Fraser

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Here is what the cylinder compression tests revealed.

Cylinder #1 148
Cylinder #2 120
Cylinder #3 180
Cylinder #4 150
Cylinder #5 150
Cylinder #6 136

None of those indicate a bad headgasket, but water still enters the #3 cylinder.

·
8,978 Posts
its possible you have a leaking lower intake gasket again. It sounds crazy but those things are harder to seal correctly than head gaskets.
-Thomas

1 - 20 of 39 Posts