1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well boys and girls, for the first time ever, the auto butcher near my home
did not have a single MN-12.
I went there to grab small plastic parts, push pins, a/c vents, brake bleeders,
some of the stranger looking bolts that the auto parts store moron would not understand in any language.

Mostly the little crap that costs $2 in the store.

Just to have for a now 20 year old car.

Now I have to go south to yahoo-ville, Dade county.
I'm squeezing my passport tightly.

Miac would understand.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I feel your pain. I thought it would be an endless supply of MN-12s, like it was the first few times I went to the you pull it place that is ~1 mile from my house. I am talking about 7~20 always available, each in place for ~2 months, and plenty to replace them.

Currently and for the last month or so there are NO MN12 TBirds (just an 88 fox chassis), 2 MN12 Cougars (and one fox, and two new edge), and one FN10 Mark VIII.

·
Super Moderator
17,160 Posts
The consistency has gone down here for sure, sometimes there's none, sometimes there's a few dozen depending on the yard. I haven't found any SCs in a looong time, Mark VIIIs too, I used to come across a couple a year when I first started junkyarding. New edge Mustangs are becoming more common though, I actually stumbled across 2 GTs recently, which I almost never do save for the occasional thrashed foxbody, one was a 99 or 00 and the other an 04

·
̇
3,701 Posts
The time to hoard extra parts for your MN12 is now..I said that a few years ago though.. :rolleyes:

Really a whole spare car would be more sufficient..lol

When I went junkyard picking last week..I found out over 75% of the yards around here are crunching anything older than 2000 for scrap.. :(

I did stumble on a couple yards I've never been to out in the deep of the woods/swamp..

Then there was one yard that's been there since the 60's..I actually found a 1993 5.0 Thunderbird there..I would take the whole car if I had the room..lol

I plan on going back, and stripping every 5.0 specific part off of it..

The beauty of this place is it's like a time capsule..Only certain people can get into this yard, and he doesn't crunch his cars for scrap $$$..

More and more junkyards are just becoming $crap yards with no hesitation to crunch anything..

They don't car how rare a car is just how much scrap $$$ they can get for it..

Rayo..

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
More and more junkyards are just becoming $crap yards with no hesitation to crunch anything..

They don't car how rare a car is just how much scrap $$$ they can get for it..

Rayo..
Well, money in the pocket now is worth more than money sitting in the yard.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I used to drive hours to find junk yards with mn12 parts. Now I am looking for cougars that old people don't want any more and buying whole cars

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
The you pull it place I go to you rarely see cars newer than 2008 unless they are Crown Vics or other fleet vehicles like Border Patrol Expeditions. Mostly you find 1990-2000, lower end cars, or ones that have little salvageable like fires. It was a mecca for MN12. Now it is a Taurus wonderland, and any corporate chevrolet vehicle with the 3.0/3.4/3.8.

The better, higher priced, more sought after cars go for more and rarely to you pull it places. Some of them have a premium section and different pricing.

This place takes cars in, they prep them/arrange them to be put out, room is made if needed by taking the cars in the yard for around 2 months.

·
The Parts Guy
7,342 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I was junkyarding almost every weekend during C4C, there really weren't any more MN12s than usual hitting the yards, no dropoff after either. All those 90s SUVs were the ones that really disappeared, these cars are simply old.
That is exactly what I've been finding.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
My 89 Cougar wasn't eligible for c4c but my 97 was...the 4.6 got better mileage (real life but maybe not epa rating) and was worth about 6000 more.

·
Registered
309 Posts
How can a 4.6 get better mpg then a 3.8? I get like 30mpg Fwy, 18 city. But the junkyards around here in CA have alot of MN12's. Maybe everyone is just bringing them over here I guess.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
They used the Combined new EPA rating, and for the 89 3.8 it is 20, and for the 97 4.6 that is 18. I don't drive their loop, or like they drive, and pushing 145hp to do things the same as 220hp uses a lot more fuel. Also for most of the time I owned the 97 it has a tune and I ran premium, and got 3 or 4 more mpg just due to that.

·
Super Moderator
10,768 Posts
I get the same ~22ish mpg on all 3 cars; I only get 20 mpg in my 2.0 Contour on the same drive. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,160 Posts
I average 19-20 mostly city, I've gotten as high as 29 on highway.

If you aren't familiar with the story of these cars development, the team responsible were reprimanded by Ford for not meeting weight/economy targets, many even lost their jobs shortly after. What isn't often brought up is that it was the Base V6s that didn't meet their projected targets, the more powerful SCs were perfectly fine. Moral of the story, being underpowered can be as bad for fuel economy than being overpowered.

·
Super Moderator
10,768 Posts
I put a 2bbl carb/intake on my 390 cu in 63 bird while I was going to school in the 80's; it ate way more gas in town, but highway was better. Seem like 12mpg vs 18mpg, lol.

It was swapped back real fast. :)

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I used to drive hours to find junk yards with mn12 parts. Now I am looking for cougars that old people don't want any more and buying whole cars
I'd say you are probably in the right state to implement that whole car plan efficiently (old cars from old people).

-g

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Dang. I have had a steady stream since I have followed this platform. There's currently 6-8 mn12 cars, including a 90 5-sp SC. And 3 mark viii cars, including a 98 LSC. And that's only 1 yard. It's also not uncommon to come across a 5.0 car. And I have a 95 parts car.

What do you guys need??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts