TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Using only ford parts what would be the most powerfull (HP and TQ) 4.6 sohc you could build and run on pump gas in a daily driver.

OK here are the rules:

• Only Ford parts can be used. (this does included any "FRPP" parts).
  • Must be SOHC heads. NPI or PI doesnt matter either or. They can be machined.
  • 5.4 parts can be used for and in the heads and also for the intake if you please.
  • Has to be N.A. No N2O, Turbo, or Superchargers.
  • Must be a factory 4.6 block no machining of the block.
Later,
jay

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Cobra block, crank, rods, 3cc cobra pistons. PI heads, PI cams, PI intake. Marauder converter, 03 cobra transmission, FRPP rearend (I know they dont make them anymore).

the compression ration would probably be around 10.8-11:1 which is daily driveable on pump gas.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
Thomas said:
Cobra block, crank, rods, 3cc cobra pistons. PI heads, PI cams, PI intake. Marauder converter, 03 cobra transmission, FRPP rearend (I know they dont make them anymore).

the compression ration would probably be around 10.8-11:1 which is daily driveable on pump gas.
wait a sec, arent' all cobras manual???(t-56 tranny)

instead of the pi intake, i'd go with a bullit intake, 03-04 cobra throttle body,03 cobra rad using the a/c condenser as a tranny cooler, 93 mark viii driveshaft, 2001+ 4r70w, with about a 11:1 compression

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
What thomas said but replace pi heads and intake with SVOs, fully ported of course.

cobra pistons are 2.8cc dish and those with PI heads would definately NOT be 10.8:1, more like 11.8

SVOs and cobra pistons would be about 10:1

Using the above criteria, I think 300rwhp is about the limit. However at that point, cams would be easily worth 20rwhp maybe more.

·
8,978 Posts
wow 11.8:1 thats a little more than I had guessed, but I think it could still be streetable on 93 octane.

·
8,978 Posts
the bullit isnt worth the money, although the game isnt about money, the gains are negligible on an NA application anyhow.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Raised compression 05 Mustang GT engine, ported 3V heads, :thumbsup:

You just said SOHC, you didn't say how many valves. :D

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Cobra Block, SVO heads, Whatever pistons it takes for a 9.5:1 CR, PI cams, and the svo blower with a very small pulley :D I think 9psi is the highest you can get from one of those...not sure though. And with the right tune, pump gas would be fine :D

Shane

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Mill the crap out of the heads, deck the block, and with a 4V piston you should see above 13:1 compression with a 3V head, even more with a PI 2V. Toss up on the heads I think, 3V is bound to flow more, but no production cam with much lift at all. I think the Navi piston is a flat top rather than the small dish in the 4V cars so that would bump it a bit more.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I didn't think you could mill the block and head that much without throwing off the cam timing?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thomas said:
the bullit isnt worth the money.
That has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever herd. A ported bullit is worth every penny over a PI. Especially in this contest where you can't have race P-51 intake.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Raised compression 05 Mustang GT engine, ported 3V heads, :thumbsup:

You just said SOHC, you didn't say how many valves. :D

I would have to say the 3v would be the way to go.

MG

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
I didn't think you could mill the block and head that much without throwing off the cam timing?

You can't. When you mill the heads you will retard the cam timing. Retarded cams should favor top end HP more. If you needed to get that timing back you can cut new keyways in the sprockets. I have some sprockets that can advance/retard the timing 3,6,9,12 degrees, just use the right keyway. Any competent machine shop should be able to do that to the production sprockets.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Cool. :thumbsup:

I couldn't remember if it would retard or advance the timing. Thanks for the info. :bowdown: :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts