TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i am sick of my thunderbird....no one seems to know what the problem is...not even ford classic...so i wanna see if there is anyone on here that might know what the hell my cars problem is...here goes....one day i started my car then out of know where the idle starts to mess up. exhaust is pouring out of my exhaust and underneath my car. i opened the hood and i smelled raw gas. well i figured out one thing...one of my fuel injectors went bad so i replaced it. also my cadallic converter was bad so i replaced it with the true dual exhaust system. i put new plugs and wires in. when u stand at the back of my car the right exhaust pipe is pouring out exhaust and the left side isnt. i also figured out that cylinders 2 and 3 are getting gas all over my spark plugs and fouling them out. i cant figure it out. i took it to two places including ford. ford told me that my computer was messed up and it needed to be replaced. the quoted me $464.00. i personally think it is probably one of my oxygen sensors or a valve spring is broke or needs to be replaced. if anyone has any ideas please help me....i have already spend 500$ not including the computer....thanks guys.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Try this I have the same problem I believe

Read the post below...I thought it was due to the fact that I had no oil in my car, but the mechanic said I had 3 quarts left..I'll tell you what I experienced...

I try to start my car and it won't start at first, when it does get started it runs really rough and blows smoke out of the exhaust like a b*tch. If I rev it at 2,000 rpms it runs but if I let it lower then it stalls.. Are you having this problem??? Also it smelt like raw gas.

Mechanic said it threw a code. 116---which is the Engine coolant temperature sensor, but he check engine light did not come on. Located right to the right of the alternator, I believe. Also my mechanic said that this year had some service bullentin on this sensor being defective.. The sensor goes for maybe $23. I am going to bring one to my mechanic tomorrow and see, what happens. His book said the sensor was in the back...he couldn't find it, mine says its right in the front.

I am not sure this is your problem but maybe its worth a shot. I will let you know what happens.
As a side not I replaced this damn sensor maybe 6,000 miles ago, and my mechanic doesn't know where my oil went....oh well....
I have a 1994 4.6l also.

hope this may help .

·
Registered
244 Posts
well, if those cylinders are getting gas all over the plugs, are the plugs getting juice? if the plugs aint sparking, the gas won't be lighting. what is exhaust pouring out your exhaust? is it black smoke, blue smoke, white smoke?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Here's My 2 Cents

Get yuor car over to autozone and buy a MAF. You can install it right in the parking lot with a 8mm and a Flat head. A bad MAF can cause similar problems, a dead MAF like the one I had will cause all kinds of bad stuff to happen. You can read my previous posts if you want to see the problem I was having and compare it to yours.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=8321

·
Registered
261 Posts
If exhaust it only pouring out of one side....Hmmmm....

I'd pull all of the spark plugs out of that side, and see if any of them are fouled out.

And go from there...

·
Registered
244 Posts
OOPS, I didnt catch the smoke from 1 side. Probably not a bad Maf then. It does sound like either the right bank DOWNSTREAM O2 or Right bank UPSTREAM 02 sensor.

It probably flagged this (Mechanic said it threw a code. 116---which is the Engine coolant temperature sensor) because he didnt let engine run long enough. I did the exact same thing just a week ago.I changed mine and it didnt help at all. Not to mention , if it is bad it wouldnt cause 1 bank to run rich. And yes both sensors are up front. Looking at engine gauge sensor in at left , ECT is at right , behing the water neck.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
It sounds like Ford did know....you just didn';t want to hear it

If y9our EEC does go bad it can hold 1 or 2 injectors open all the time causing what you describe. I have been there and done that at 70K. replaced the EEC and all has been well now at 180K. You can replace the EEC yourself it isn't hard and the part itself is a lot less than $464

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the same problem...

It's the EEC, if ford said it is it is most likely your EEC. Mine went bad and did just what you were talking about and gas would actually drip from my exhaust cause 7 and 8 injectors were held open, change your oil too after your EEC because all that gas can leak past your rings and get into your oil.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same problem here. It started running like crap after I started it and was blowing smoke and dripping gas from one plug. I replaced the injectors, computer (with a used one with the same code) and gutted my cats. cause they were all loaded with gas. An easy way to see that it is the comp. is to go to a parts store and buy a noid light for a bosch style injector and plug it into the harness that the plugs were dripping gas from. If they stay lite your comp. bad. If you need the car (cant afford to fix) you can tap that injector wire off anouther injector on the same side (Ford tech. told me that tip that our cars run on a left and right banks than all seperate inj. pluses)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ford guessed correctly

well ford was right it was my computer....it runs better than it ever has...i am so happy to get it back...the only bad thing was that i have to replace my cats cuz the are loaded with gas. the only thing that is wrong with my car now is the maf sensor...it is causing my car to hesitate a lil. welll thanks guys for all your help it was very helpful

·
Registered
89 Posts
replace your cats before you replace the maf. Clogged cats will cause hesitation as well.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
If you decide to replace your EEC, buy a new one, and then send it to Dennis for a tuneup on it. :) Or maybe you could buy one straight from him?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Screwed up EEC

I hate to tell you, but I had the exact same problem with my 94 cougar 4.6. replaced the computer and every thing was fine. set me back about $400

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
that really sux, i just picked up a eec for my 96 for $40 and now im gonna send it to dennis and pay the $250 or whatever it is. I have a chip already but thought a eec flash would be better for my headswap. So total for my EEC flashed it will cost under $300. And it takes about 5 min to install yourself

Glad you got you bird running all good again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey BlackTbird96... wher on earth did you get an EEC for $40 that works? wish I could have found one

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I found someone on here parting out a 96 tbird. First week in sept its going to dennis. Then I get to sell my old one. Um maybe I can sell it for $150 haha

Might want to try www.car-part.com they have them for like $50 everyday

1 - 16 of 16 Posts