TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While its not a Cougar/T-Bird I'm curious if it could be done to a 1995 Town Car.

At 216,XXX miles the crummy valve seals are toast. And I really don't want to buy another car or dump money into replacing the valve seals. So I'm looking into replacing the engine altogether. Some have mentioned to me getting 1996+ 4.6L and just putting that in and rerouting stuff to the newer style intake.

But a lighter more powerful engine like the Explorer swaps I've read here that bolts right up to 4R70W seems like a excellent solution. It would be nice to have more power to get this 4000# sedan moving.

Thanks

·
Registered
903 Posts
I wouldnt see why not. The block should bolt up to the trans, then just swap your engine mounts, front cover, and valve covers just like on the 'bird swap.

Go for it!

Anyone else thinking the same on this?

Brandon

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You will have to get some parts from a newer Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car. The throttle body faces the front of the motor just like 94/95 MN12's. You will need the throttle body, cable and brackets. Also, the EGR tube will be different so you will need the tube and exhaust manifolds. I don't know if the air filter box is different but the intake tube definitely is.
If you find a PI from a Panther you will get most of that stuff with the motor. (Not the filter box and throttle cable.)
And of course, Merry Christmas!

·
Super Moderator
7,480 Posts
It definitely can be done, it would be similar to doing the swap in a 94/95 tbird. You would need the newer style intake, and all the associated lines, hoses, tubes, etc.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Isn't the 95 town car EEC IV not V????
I don't know if that would have an impact on running an explorer motor or not

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't the 95 town car EEC IV not V????
I don't know if that would have an impact on running an explorer motor or not

The 1995 Panthers are OBD-II.

But to my understanding there are some elements missing that would be found in a 1996+ OBD-II car.

As for 1998+ Panthers I believe the airbox is the same up until 2003. What size MAF they stick behind it I'm not sure.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
The 1995 Panthers are OBD-II.

But to my understanding there are some elements missing that would be found in a 1996+ OBD-II car.

As for 1998+ Panthers I believe the airbox is the same up until 2003. What size MAF they stick behind it I'm not sure.
Probably the same as the 94 bird. OBDII but not fully compliant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts