TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a search on what needs to be done when you do a cam upgrade, and i know that you need to upgrade your valve springs and the timing chains. the question that i have is do you need to upgrade any other part of the valve train while you are at it?
another question that i am sure has been answered before, but would be appreciated if it was answered again. will this cam set up work with out giving me vaccum problems on PI heads? IN. 270 EX. 274 IN. .550 EX. .550 113*

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TTT

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
You don't have to upgrade the chains even. Mine had 185,000 miles on them and they hardly stretched at all. But if you are going in there, you may want to look into replacing the valve seals as well.

·
Registered
748 Posts
My suggestion is........if you have it apart.........take caree of the minor stuff since you're there. Go ahead and replace the timing chains AND tensioners since you have it apart..........will save you headaches later.

Those duration numbers MIGHT affect your vaccumn..........especially at idle. Will it make the car less driveable??? Doubt it........but it will be noticeable. I'm running a set of Comp Cams with 230 IN and 236 EX @ .050" lift.........and have noticed a diffferrence in the breaks at idle----have to push alittle harder on the brake pedal while stopped..........but it's not that bad. With the numbers you posted, it will be more noticeable..........but should still be streetable.........you'll just have to adjust how you drive and basically re-learn "how" to drive the car.........but I don't think it will be THAT bad..........but it will be diffrrent.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info, i am just trying to do every thing right when i rebuild my engine.

Robert

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
4.6Rebuild said:
thanks for the info, i am just trying to do every thing right when i rebuild my engine.

Robert
Are you actually rebuilding the engine or just doing the cam swap?

Oh by the way i am only 20

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am rebuilding the whole engine, i just needed a little info on the heads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts