TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm only posting this here wondering if anyone has had this problem or knows what it is, I'm really not trying to diagnose it as I have so many other issues going on atm that I can't add another problem to my plate, and I don't think this is terribly serious.

Anyway, every morning when I leave I have to drive up a fairly steep hill.

When I start going up the hill, the car will shift, and the TC locks up at which point, around 1500rpm I hear this odd rattling noise, sounding like some metal flailing around in my exhaust or something.

It used to do this out of gear, when I would rev the engine, around the same RPM range. Now I only ever hear it when going up this hill or basically I guess when the engine is loaded down.

I suspect cats, or exhaust something or other, but I just wanted to know if anyone knows anything.... maybe something has come loose in my cats??

I'm not ready to pull my exhuast system off to go looking inside at this point, but its been going on for a while so I would like to have some idea.

there is no loss of power or any effect other than noise that I can see/feel, so i don't think it's detonation.... not to mention that it doesn't sound like detonation... it sounds really tinny.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've hit the heat shield with my hand, they are solid.

the other day i was driving up the hill, and just as I turned the corner before going up the hill, I heard this rattle, loudly, more so than normal, almost as if it had rattled and moved....then going up the hill, it didn't rattle like normal.

it hasn't stopped though, I guess it just moved out of the way that time.

only reason I suspect my cats is because I often get that rotten egg/cabbage smell, normally only when I'm hard on the throttle or moving at high speeds and jam on the gas.

sometimes just hard acceleration gives me that smell.

I'm thinking something has come loose in the cat(s) but it's been going on long enough that I would think a piece of metal in rattling around in there could have been burned up by now.

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
<< Your cats are plugging. Time to replace them. >>

Agreed. The noise and the smell are the give-away.

Go with Magnaflow hi-flow cats #94004, and then a mid mounted dual in/dual in Magnaflow muffler #11385. The 'Bay are great sources for these.

ADDED: Check NAPA for chrome exhaust tips, you'd be surpised at the quality and price. I got the above setup on my 97 Thunderbird with 2.25 pipes and it sounds great! I think I paid like $26 for both of my chrome 2 1/8 inch diameter NAPA tips!

Click on the pics to make them larger:

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow those tips look nice, but i gotta say, I've got so many other problems right now I can't even thinking of spending money on this right now....though that is an excellent price for the cats.

I've got to replace my RH LCA and both my wheel hubs... parts are coming but cash is tapped out.... I've also got this computer virus problem that is REALLY holding me back in a lot of ways atm.

when I do change them (maybe sept) is there anywhere I can get some cash for turning them in?? I know they use some really precious metals in there, and it can be reclaimed with the right process....someones gotta pay for that stuff somewhere, or people wouldn't be stealing them lol.

·
Registered
623 Posts
About a year ago, a recycling center gave me $30 each for the two primary cats.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have the same problem. Thank you search button! I guess I'll replace them as soon as I can..

·
829 Posts
Hi BigJohnny, no sir, I'm not selling exhaust systems or components, just passing along my solution when I had the same problem. It made a big difference for me so I figured I can't be the only one with the bad cats.

If you mean the hoodliners, yes, I do make and sell those, you can see all the pics and info in the blogspot link in my signature.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't care who was selling them, just wanted to make sure if I was buying them they are coming from a reliable source. I don't want to order magnaflows and get mangaflows instead you know what I mean ;)....

also, what hoodliners?

·
829 Posts
Gotcha, I got my Magnaflow muffler and high-flow cats from eBay and it was a great price and from a reputable seller - always check the feedback.

I make hoodliners from aircraft firewall material and all the info is in the link showing in my signature: http://hoodliners.blogspot.com

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hey Gonzo I will be contacting you as soon as my car is painted to inquire about a hoodliner. Do you offer anything for a cowl hood?

·
829 Posts
Hi Mike! I sure can, since you have a cowl hood it would be a section of liner in the width x height dimensions for the area that you'd like to cover. I'm in Westland and fairly close to you. I can do the install as well!

·
Registered
746 Posts
PM Sent! :)

edit- Actually in regards to the PM that I sent you, I may be able to set something up with you sooner than expected. I.E., before it goes in for paint.

Thanks,
Mike

P.S- Sorry for the hijack!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts