TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 4.6 , how hard would it be to install a set of cams , and what would be a good set as far as size in a comp cam , oh and one more thing , how much of a gain would i get ?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
you'll need the newer style heads, which will make you need the newer intake setup. if not, you'll get a lot of PTV contact, which is never a good thing.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
yes there are low lift cams from comp. your limit is about .500" PI cams a .531" and they will not work.

The issue is not PTV, but binding within the head. You could machine the 94-95 head and then be able to use higher lift cams, but the 96-98 heads can stock and can be found dirt cheap. Plus you won't need anything other than gaskets (intake, head and exhaust) to switch to 96-98 heads.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
GreenBird said:
Plus you won't need anything other than gaskets (intake, head and exhaust) to switch to 96-98 heads.
true, but would it still be worth it with the wheeze-o-matic aluminum intake?

·
Registered
921 Posts
it may be a wheezer, but it doesn't pop under pressure like some plastic ones I know of:) As far as going with comp cams on a 95. the price of cams(unless you have a cheap source) is roughly $500.00. Factor in the heads($90). Intake($40), and I'm not sure if you can finagle the fuel rails of a 95 enough to go onto a later model intake. I'd honestly say go with an all out PI motor. The Exploder motor from 02 I think is all aluminum. Lighter, faster, better. Not only that but they can be picked up relatively cheap when in comparison to a set of comp cams and required equiptment to install. Lets say maybe $650-$750. A whole PI motor can be had for around $1000 with install(by yourself) and you'd net a very serious gain. This is just my opinion. I have no technical data or expertise to back up what I say. I am giving rough estimates. Prices on parts may vary. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
166 Posts
yes, i have the xe268h. they are probably your best bet with 94/5 heads

http://comp.com/Technical/CurrentCatalog/HTML/66-67.asp

installing the cams is not that bad, its the springs which are a biotch. you need a special tool, i believe OTC makes it.

just the cams with the 94/5 heads and intake expect about a an 8 rwhp gain peak to peak. but the area under the curve is much greater than the stock cam. with the 94/5 heads, pi intake and those cams i made like 217 rwhp and forgot about what rwtq.

below is a link to a post regarding the various combinations with the 94/5 stock heads. 56k beware, the dyno graphs are rather large

http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?threadid=17441

hans

1 - 8 of 8 Posts