TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i was just wondering how powershifting and breaking the tires loose would hurt your tranny. I know it does but i was just wondering how exactly. I guess this shows my lack of knowledge in this area but hey i wanna know.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thats a good question, i want to know also because I love to bark im second in my automatic. But it appears no one knows due to the lack of replies.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Simple answer... abuse. When you spin your tires(ie: brake torque) you heat the transmission and as everyone knows, heat is an automatics worst enemy. Now, the initial start of spinning the tires is not the worst of abuse, it's when those tires come back to the actual vehicle speed and the trans is suddenly going from a high speed to a low speed.

"Barking" second is actually not that harmful to a tranmission, it is hard on rear-ends and U-joints though. Personally, my Crown Vic would literally get sideways in second gear before I changed my shift kits and that trans is still running strong. You see, when the tires break loose in the shift, this means that the trans is going straight into gear, where as a smooth shift means that the trans is slipping into gear.

I don't quite know what you mean by "powershifting", that is a term usually used when referring to a manual trans when you do not use the clutch to shift.. also known as "RPM shifting". If you are talking about manual shifting of an automatic, there is no extra wear when doing so, especially if you have a good shift kit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Intresting.....

so the more you bark in second, the better it is for your car. That works for me.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Birdman....

That's not what he said. He said that will harm your U-joints and trans-axles. He said it wouldn't hurt the transmission. Pay attention young man Dan! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts