TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how many motorcycle riders there are on this forum, but I would just like to put out a reminder to be safe. It has been a little while since I have been on TCCOA. A little over 4 months ago, I lost my brother in a motorcycle accident. My brother, Jeremy, was a proficient, skilled rider. He made the mistake of riding at night and riding while upset. Unfortunately, he paid the ultimate price for this mistake. He will be dearly missed.

He had a bad day at work. He had gotten into an argument with is wife after work and he got on the bike to blow off some steam. My brother never got on his bike without all of his safety gear; full length pants, boots, riding jacket, helmet, and gloves. He was wearing all of his gear at the time of the accident. However it was not enough to save his life.

Now, I tell you this story not so that you an say: "The helmet didn't save his life. Why should I wear mine?" I am telling this story to show that a helmet will not save every life, but they do work. My brother passed two cars and ran into the back of a poorly lit semi cab (no trailer). His estimated speed was 150 mph. Here is what his helmet looks like after the accident.

Here is a picture of him and I last year on our annual ride to Tappan Lake. I am on the orange bike on the left. He is on the blue bike on the right.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thoughts and prayers for your loss.

I used to ride a bike to college in the 80s and still have my Class M on my driver's license. I have thought seriously about buying another to save gas, but having to carry a laptop case makes it problematic.

Down here deer, instead of speed, have caused a lot of motorcycle fatalities this year.

http://www.thestate.com/2013/10/07/3025021/deer-kills-fourth-sc-motorcyclist.html

Me and a bunch of folks I grew up with went out to dinner a few months ago. One of my friends told me he hit a deer a few years ago and suffered a compound fracture (bone sticking out) of one of his legs. I guess it's more common than we realize.

There's a guy I see sometimes when I am out walking who had to lay his Harley down and ended up under a semi truck. He wasn't wearing a helmet and has permanent short term memory loss from the injuries he suffered. He was an equipment mechanic for a large construction company. They kept his tools and he tried to work again, but there were too many issues.

I guess stuff like this is more common than we think.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm for your loss. I ride as well, I have been riding since I was 13, I'm 38 now. I've had some close calls, but never a wreck. I lost my best friend in 2000 due to a motorcycle wreck. And in his wreck it too was operator error. Please don't take this the wrong way, but riding at night isn't exactly a mistake. Riding 150mph is. Just like my best friend, it's operator error. Nobody wanted to hear it then and nobody wants to hear it now. A girl driving in front of Scott missed her turn, she locked her brakes up. Scott decided to pass her on the left. The turn she missed was on the left. As he decided to pass, she at the same time, turned to the left. He hit her car and wound up on the ground in oncoming traffic. At that point he was still alive. As he was getting up, a truck struck him and killed him. If he had simply went around her on the shoulder, he would still be here. Even the most seasoned rider will make mistakes, and those mistakes can ultimately cost you your life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts