TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my turbobird has a rebuilt A4LD transmission, i know that this transmission isnt very good for the car, ford had to detune the car from 180HP to 150HP just to smack this tranny on. well i recently got mine rebuilt when the car was given to me when i got my liscense (april, 2002) and i was wondering how far do you all think that i can push the horsepower before i have to start worrying about having too much for the tranny? i would like to put a gillis boost valve and a K&N air filter on but i dont know how far i can mod it before i have to start worrying about the engine bein too much for the tranny. can anyone help me out? how much horsepower is too much for the A4LD?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too have an A4LD. My stock tranny broke the input shaft behind a stock 180,000 mile engine. The stock piece is not strong at all. As you already stated Ford pulled 30+ horsepower just to make sure it would last for the lenght of the warranty. If you can't do any of the rebuild your self the most cost effective thing to do is swap in a T-5. You can upgrade to some ranger 4.0L parts internally and possibly make it to 250HP at the crank reliably.

·
Registered
53 Posts
87-88 5-speed tc were 190hp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts