TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 Sport w/AED SC. I have been noticing a very loud humming/droning noise every time I put the car in either reverse or drive when the temperature is below 30 fahrenheit? Any suggestions, could it be related to the SC?
Thanks for any insight. J

·
Registered
212 Posts
When was the last time the trans was flushed? Are you getting TC shudder? Check the fluid and see if it is discolored or burnt.

Is there any noise when in neutral?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks wm_sorg, Trans fluid done about 2 years ago 20,000 miles when I put in the shift kit. No shedder detectable and nothing when in neutral?

·
Registered
212 Posts
You got me. If it's not a pulley perhaps you have a bad pump bearing? For starters I would take off the serpentine belt and spin all the pulleys to make sure.

You can also let the car warm up to operating termrature and let the engine warm up the trans fluid. Are you using Mercon V?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, I'll check your suggestions and I'm gonna change/flush fluid and replace the trans filter when I get a day above 20 degrees! Regards.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I get something similar. Except mine is there whether the car is in gear or park or whatever. If I start driving and get much over 11 or 12 hundred rpm, it tends to go away and comes back. If I let it idle for a few minutes when it's doing it, it goes away. Oh yeah, when the car first starts cold it idles high. After a minute or so, the revs will drop a bit, then it will race the engine. Last thing I've noticed is that when it's doing that droning it seems to idle higher and wants to get up and go a lot faster when idling. Makes traffic fun. I think my car's been doing about 10-12 mph idleing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Justin. Feeling dumber all the time? What does IAC stand for again?:leftright

·
Registered
212 Posts
Idle Air Control. It is a stepper motor that regulates the amount of air into the engine when it is at idle. Based on PCM various input and conditions the IAC will vary the idle speed accordingly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts