TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Don't call me a Newbie
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched around the Forum for info on ARP Main Studs for the 4.6L (and specifically for an Explorer Swap), and found lot's of references, but little detail (and a couple of contradictions)...

Looking elsewhere online, I find two different Kits listed (at Summit, for example):

Main Studs, 2-Bolt Main, Ford, Modular V8, SOHC Only, Kit
Main Studs, 4-Bolt Main, Ford, 4.6L, 2-Valve, Kit

(I like how one is for a "2-Valve" but the other is "SOHC Only" :tongue: )

Is the latter kit the one I need for building up an Explorer Block? I found someone who said the Blocks were cross-bolted (followed by someone who pointed out "...they are Jack Screws, not Crossbolts..." :) ) and someone who said they were pinned. :rolleyes: Now I wish to believe the 4-bolt myself, but would like to hear from someone that has used that particular ARP Kit on an Explorer Block, if possible. :D

Wayne

PS. I'll post something in a day or two, about my build, once I have made some final decisions (like what Heads I will be using).

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Just call ARP tech, they will give you the correct part number and then order it through who ever has it cheaper.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Here is the P/N you need for the main studs, ARP 256-5701

That P/N can also be used with a windage try, or you can omit it.

as far as I know someone was trying to get ARP to make the side bolts (some romeo early blocks had jack screws as well), but I dont think ARP is making side bolts yet.

You can also get head studs, and a crank balancer bolt from ARP.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i had the same problem when building my motor. i ended up calling ARP and they gave me part number 256-5801. that's what i used.

you'll hafta source the side bolts from ford though, and of course they're TTY. call dan.

·
Registered
680 Posts
ThunderChicken1 said:
i had the same problem when building my motor. i ended up calling ARP and they gave me part number 256-5801. that's what i used.

you'll hafta source the side bolts from ford though, and of course they're TTY. call dan.
I believe that is the kit that does not have provisions for a windage tray, the affornentioned p/n can be used with or without a windage tray.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts