TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, how come more expensive speakers $150+ have such crappy sensitivity rating? Is it because their cones are heavier? I mean, what's the point of buying an expensive set of speakers that have a sensitivity rating of 88 dB and need 150 watts RMS when I can get a pair with a 94 dB sensitivity and they'll only need 50 watts to get the same SPL out of them?

Also, is Crunch and Hifonics made by the same company? I don't remember where I heard this. From what I know, people seem to think Hifonics are excellent amps, but Crunch sucks.
Personally, I heard Crunch in my roommate's car and the thing that ticks me off the most is the delay when the car is started. It takes them 2 seconds to power up when the rest of the system is already blasting...

BTW the (cheap) speakers I was referring to above are Blaupunkt PCxi573 5x7
Any opinions? Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
hmm

while, as you said, you can get the same db from a more sensitive speaker using less power, that doesn't mean it will sound as good, there are so many more factors in how a speaker wil produce sound than just the sensitivity. take for instance the blaupunkts you mentioned, and put them head to head with a more expensive speaker, lets say a JL Audio 5x7, while at a given wattage the blaupunkts will sound louder, just how will the loud volume sound? will you be able to disern different pitches in the singers voice, how about a certain instrument in the background that isn't playing as loudly as the rest, will you be able to pull out more then one or two voices in a multisinger song? In these areas is where the more expensive speakers will definatly outshine the cheaper ones.

This applies to subwoofers as well, though the higher sensitivity ratings make more of an influence in the decision making process if you are going for sound quality versus SPL. A lower sensitivity in subs will affect how the sub can reacte to changes in the beats, and tones of the music, using a larger sub, or one with a larger motor structure, while giving the same amount of power as a smaller sub, in the same box size will alter the performance of the larger sub, making it less able to reproduce the sound properly. Lets take a 10" sub for instance, just picking a brand here use a JL audio 10w0 and a jl 10w6 with a rms of 100 watts from an amp while using a box size of .75 cu. ft.

now apply a kick drum sound to the subs, in this case the smaller w0 would outperform it's larger/heavier counterpart in the way the sound was reproduced. The lighter w0 would be able to react better to the changes of the music, whereas the w6 would muddy the sound a bit due to the motor structure continuing on even after the beat stopped.

If you were to up the power to the w6, it would start to outperform the w0 in that the current would have enough force to stop the motor structures movement and reverse it, without much muddying of the sound.

(now I hope you understand where I'm coming from :p ) the more weight in a speaker, the less sensitivity generally, and the more power needed to properly use the speaker. But in contrast the higher costs ussually give you better sounding equipment. In the autosound world, you get what you pay for.

Now as for crunch amps, they have a bad track record, and while some may last for years, most don't, they have a hard time controlling subs properly, and are not very accurate amps for mids/highs.

I can't tell you if crunch and hifonics are the same company.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You make perfect sense. Now, do you have any recommendations as far as 5x7 speakers? I need a pair for the back that can handle 75-100 W. RMS and a pair of
6 1/2" components with the same power rating as the 5x7's, at around $200 for each set.

Jim

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
JL TR series $140

Bout as good as your going to get without breaking the bank.

Kenwoods are good as well, $150, but the JL's are better.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
yup

Joel is right, he made me want to get JL audio 6 1/4" component speakers, (or like size) and fit em in both 5x7 locations. The only problem is me being able to afford em! hahaha JL makes some nice speakers. BTW, joel.. I have a question for ya. If I wanted to get 4 JL components and a 4 channel, mid and High amp to push them.. how would I hook the amp up to the 4 speakers, while retaining the ability to change the sound to the front and rear, left and right?? And all the other abilities to use on my pioneer 6300, alond with wiring my subs and stuff, so that it all works properly? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just went to www.hifonicsusa.com and the site has three sections...
Maxxsonics, Hifonics, and Crunch. This is what leads me to believe that Crunch and Hifonics are somehow part of the same company. I'd love to get a pair of Z6400 Hifonics amps in the future, but Crunch, being there on the same site kinda scares me. Does anyone have any experience with Hifonics?

Jim

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Hifonics Amps are at the opposite end of the scale from Crunch, they are a good reliable product, and have been to many iasca competitions in the past. I wouldn't be worried even if they are made by the same company as crunch

G

·
My opinion

Eclipse is a fair price for the sound. Their 5X7s aren't too expensive (around $120) and they have a great sound when coupled with an eclipse 50X4 amp with a eclipse head ESN head unit. If ya wanna get more bumpin without the subs the eclipse 6X9s are really good.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thunderchicken...

That's good to know that Hifonics really is as good as I've been told before. I think I got my mind set on the exact amps I will be getting. The only problem is this damn urge for performance. There is a whole war going on in my head. So far more money has been spent on performance than audio.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts