TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im a newbie have had my 95 tbird only 2 weeks the check engine light came on and wont go off...what could be wrong with my car?...<no haynes book yet>
thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh i forgot to say...the guy i bought it from claimed he changed out the o2 sensor......if its changed out the light shouldnt come on right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what do you mean by get the codes scanned?...will they plug in their scanner for free?
thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
i also have a 95 4.6L and when i bought mine the check engine light wouldnt go off either, my friend who is a mechanic told me to clear the memory on the cpu by disconnecting the negative battery cable and push on the brake 5 times then reconnect everything and start the car i did this once and it hasnt come on since in 5 months so im assuming there was nothing wrong.
 

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
Joined
·
2,118 Posts
All you have to do to reset the EEC is pull fuze 15 from under the hood, wait a few minutes, try to start the car, then put the fuze back and away you go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
799 Posts
hey thanks for the advise i've had the same problem with mine my lights been on for about a week went to auto zone and the guys said they couldnt tell to old of a car its a '95 4.6 he said they could do a '96 and newer but not a '95 or older ive tried disconnecting the negative battery cable and it went off for a few miles but came back on im gonna try the disconnecting and then pumping brake and if that doesnt work gonna try the removing #15 fuse i appreciate the help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,902 Posts
chris g said:
hey thanks for the advise i've had the same problem with mine my lights been on for about a week went to auto zone and the guys said they couldnt tell to old of a car its a '95 4.6 he said they could do a '96 and newer but not a '95 or older ive tried disconnecting the negative battery cable and it went off for a few miles but came back on im gonna try the disconnecting and then pumping brake and if that doesnt work gonna try the removing #15 fuse i appreciate the help
Yeah, and that guy at autozone was a freaking idiot. Sometimes you have to tell them that its OBD II and even show them where the plug is. The reason he said only 96+ is because thats when OBD II was required to be on all cars. Even if your car still had the EEC-IV, most autozones have a scanner for that.

Also, there is never a need to pump the brake pedal to reset the EEC. You can do the whole disconnect the battery thing (wait like 15-30 mins and reconnect). Or you can pull fuse 15 under the hood and try to start the car. Then reinstall. It's quicker and easier.
-Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Rob said:

pull fuse 15 under the hood and try to start the car. Then reinstall. It's quicker and easier.
-Rob
I've got a funny story.

A couple weeks ago i bought a '95 4.6l LX with 120k miles on the body, but only 30k on the brakes, suspension, engine and transmission. The car itself is in beautiful shape, no rust or anything, small tears in the driver side seats but otherwise perfect. The guy bought the car in California, put the 120k miles on it, replaced everything listed and then drove it up here, to Fairbanks, Alaska. He started having problems with the emissions system immediately. He spent over $2,000 trying to get it to pass emissions testing, but never did. I was just about to start tearing into the car to find out the problem myself when i read this thread. The fuse 15 trick works and now the car should pass emissions with flying colors.

I picked the car up for a ridiculously low price, anyone care to guess?

So, thanks for saving me probably a fair amount of money and more of my time. :)
 

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
Joined
·
2,118 Posts
If the light comes back on, there is a problem and you should get the code read to find out what it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
denizen said:


I've got a funny story.

A couple weeks ago i bought a '95 4.6l LX with 120k miles on the body, but only 30k on the brakes, suspension, engine and transmission. The car itself is in beautiful shape, no rust or anything, small tears in the driver side seats but otherwise perfect. The guy bought the car in California, put the 120k miles on it, replaced everything listed and then drove it up here, to Fairbanks, Alaska. He started having problems with the emissions system immediately. He spent over $2,000 trying to get it to pass emissions testing, but never did. I was just about to start tearing into the car to find out the problem myself when i read this thread. The fuse 15 trick works and now the car should pass emissions with flying colors.

I picked the car up for a ridiculously low price, anyone care to guess?....hmm.... i guess 1500.00 :)

So, thanks for saving me probably a fair amount of money and more of my time. :)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top