TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I just thought I would post this for you guys to give a quick review/fast heads-up about a few issues with this camera. Last year I had been eying these for a while on line trying to find out about them. Then for a while I just got involved in other things. Then a few months ago I decided to get one. So I went back to research/refresh my memory. That's when I discovered the new Hero3 in Black, White and Silver editions. I opted for the Black edition to have the remote, etc.. After I had ordered it (and prior to it's arrival) I went back to the GoPro website just to keep up to date on things. I decided to read some more reviews and discovered two major complaints about the Hero3.

The first is battery life. GoPro claims up to 2 hours (give or take)recording time for video. Not so. The complaints were that it's closer to 40-45 minutes. That's about what I got. I went to the support section to see if there was any solutions. All I found was that GoPro says to make sure all firmware is up to date (which I am), and to cycle the battery through two-three exhaust cycles to get the maximum life. I have cycled the battery twice and no improvement. Granted, different resolutions, settings will yield different results. But I'm still only at 50 minutes or less. I decided to purchase a set of aftermarket Wasabi batteries which are rated at 1200 Mah. I believe the GoPro's are rated 1050 Mah. The reviews on them were quite good, and they are considerably less, but I haven't tried them yet.

Also this little camera gets very hot. I hope that as I use the camera that the battery life will improve. But I'm skeptical. Now for the second issue. The camera freezes up without warning. The only way to un-freeze it is to remove the battery from the camera then replace it. It has happened to me twice now. The first time was after I had recorded about my fifth video and the battery became exhausted. The camera shut down. I let it cool for about ten minutes then decided to turn it back on, It did not come on. It beeped like it was suppose to, but no power. I removed the battery, replaced it and I had power. The second time was when I used the USB to connect it to my Laptop. When I was done downloading videos I disconnected it. When I tried to turn it on, no power, once again I had to remove the battery.

So there you have it. It's a nice camera, takes wonderful video, but performance is lacking. This is a major issue for me because I bought it primarily for hunting season. I'm putting mounts on my Polaris Ranger, and Deer stands. The battery issue is bad enough, but I don't want it to freeze up on me in the field, literally.........

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Hmmmm Interesting. Just purchased a (white) GP myself.Wonder if those issues will pop up as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,929 Posts
Do you have the latest firmware?

Check to see if there are any firmware updates. Often when there's a new model released there are still a few bugs to work out and those fixes are made with firmware upgrades.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Ron! wad up? Yep. I've had it for about a month now. Did the updates right after I got it. Although I haven't checked in the past week or so. It may help with the freezing issue, but the battery life.............By the way, I have a SCT Livewire on my truck. I've updated it and it still freezes up on me from time to time. Have to unplug it before it will come back on. Technoligy just isn't for me :eek::D

·
Super Moderator
11,929 Posts
That stinks. You'll have to post some video that you've shot with it! I haven't seen any GoPro MN12 video in a while. RobertP has a GoPro Black but he doesn't use it often.

See you at Summer Blast! I won't be bringing my car but I'll be there to shoot video and take pictures with you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts