TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading posts here for some time now and have tried to fix my transmission by myself and now I need some advice!

I have a 1996 Lincoln Town Car with a 4R70W transmission that is giving me a problem.The car has 65,000 miles on it. When the trans. is cool everything works fine but when it is warm and has been sitting for a few minutes that is when we have a problem. The transmission will shift from first to second just fine and then from second to third and then sometimes it will seam to neutral out for just a few seconds and then back to third and will be fine untill we stop and shut the engine off and then it will repeat the same thing.

I replaced the 1-2 and the 2-3 accumulators just like people here say it should be done, the springs looked fine and so did the bores. While I had the pan off I replaced the shift solenoid, replaced the filter and drained the converter and filled it with AAMCO Mercon V fluid. I have also replaced the MLPS and the TPS.

The transmission still does the same thing but not nearly as often. The only thing that I have not done that is recommended here is to install an external cooler. I do have the cooler, it is a Long Tru- Cool LPD 4739 rated at 40,000 GVW

I have two questions, what do you think might be causing the trans. to still act up a little and should I install the cooler along with the cooler in the radiator or without? We live in Colorado where it does get cold and the car is kept in a garage most of the time.

Thanks
JPA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have another question for you. Have have been told that flashing the pcm might help, dooes anyone think it might? Also I have been told that in some rare cases a bad maf sensor can cause this problem, what do you think?

Before I started any of this work I took it to a mechanic and he put two different scanners on it and drove it untill it acted up and got no codes.

We live in a small town where no one works on transmissions, even the Ford dealers sends theirs out. Do you think I would be better off taking it to a place like AAMCO ,another Ford dealer that can do the work or to a private owned shop? Or would I be better of getting a newer one from a wrecking yard?

Thanks again
JPA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alan,

Do you think I would be better of having this one rebuilt and updated or get a newer '98 or '99 from a wrecking yard?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
96 isn't too bad of a year however some internal components like the sun gears and reverse drum need to be replaced.
Alan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not that it really matters, if it has to be done it has to be done, but does anyone have any idea what it might cost to totally rebuld this transmission?

JPA

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
That transmission with the proper updates installed with a new stock replacement converter,fluid,new mlps,new epc, 98 up style frictions. I would expect around $1500 but make sure the place doing it for you actually does those updates.
Alan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dirtyd0g said:
That transmission with the proper updates installed with a new stock replacement converter,fluid,new mlps,new epc, 98 up style frictions. I would expect around $1500 but make sure the place doing it for you actually does those updates.
Alan

Alan,

I'm sure if it was yours you would do it yourself but who would you recommend taking it to AAMCO a Lincoln Dealer or a well respected private shop?

Also, since it seams to be fine one it gets going do you think it would be safe driving it 65 highway miles to the nearest town that can do this or should we put it on a flatbed?

JPA

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I suggest a well respected private shop, The dealer will probably charge you about $1000 more than that for a completely stock setup, the same goes for aamco. Whatever the cost you are better off getting it done right than pieced together.
Alan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alan,

I spoke with three different shops today. They all said without the vehicle there it would be hard to give a price, which I knew that.

AAMCO said that if it had to be rebuilt it would run between $1,400.00 and $1,800.00

One private shop that has been in business for over 25 years said worst case scenario would be $1,300.00

The other place which is closer to home said the he really does not like to repair anything if it is acting up like this. He wants to rebuild it period. He said between $1,800.00 and $2,400.00

How do these figures sound to you.

I don't know if it really matters but AAMCO's warranty would be nation wide.

JPA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found a transmission out of a '97 Crown Victoria that had 37,000 miles on it and they want $450.00 for it. What would you think about going that way?

JPA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did find a couple a '98 trans. fairly close but I do not know what the differences mean on their descriptions. One says AT.,ID F8VP-AA and CA the other one says AT.,ID F8VP-BA.

But then again those would be used. I could either get one rebuilt here or get one from someone here on this board that could build a very good transmission.

JPA

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
i think for what it will be used for (a lincoln town car, not racing and beating the crap out of it) that 97 tranny would be fine. is it the best option, no but if you put a tranny cooler on it when you install it it should last a good long time.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I would want at the minimum a 98+ transmission. For a stock replacement the only thing that will fit correctly is a police crown vic because the town car has the long tailhousing.
Alan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts