TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all! It's been quite a few years since I have been to these forums. The original 1992 T-bird LX I was working on was stolen from me while it was overseas.

I have a new project car now: a 1991 T-bird SC.

I bought it for a grand, and needed a laundry list of things replaced in order to get it up and running again. Unfortunately, one of the things needed is a ABS unit. The hydraulic part started having problems and they apparently continued to use it which burned out the rest of it.

The mechanic that I have been working with tells me that the braking system is fairly unique on these cars and that he was unable to find replacement parts. We have temporarily bypassed the stock brakes with a unit from a Crown Victoria. They work pretty good, but the ride control and cruise control no longer function. Are these modules tied into the ABS system we just bypassed?

I've tried to track down a replacement ABS unit, but the cheapest one I could find was around $1,500. Is that really the going price for these units?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
SCCOA will have more info. Cruise shouldn't be affect by the swap but the ARC will be.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The arc system is tied in with the abs, but the cruise control is not. I have a spare unit you can have just pay shipping. But you would still need the pump motor and accumulator.

·
Super Moderator
5,121 Posts
Actually, no, ARC isn't tied into ABS.

It IS tied into brake pressure - over 400PSI, and it firms up, but that's an anti-dive measure, and does that with ABS off the car.

RwP

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I have two complete units without a plan for their use.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did some rough estimates for the weight and the dimensions of a box that could hold the unit and it will cost between $20.00 and $50.00 to ship from either Streamwood, IL (Platoribs) or Villa Park, IL (renello79) to Burlington, IA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts