TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just drove 1366 miles from Abilene, TX to Cary, NC to live with my girlfriend in my 95 V8 Cougar while pulling a 5x8 Uhaul trailer. A few weeks ago my locked up engine was replaced with a good engine from a wrecked vehicle. For some reason my belts keep on being eaten but other than the connector it unplugs that kills my spark I am not having any major problems. The car runs a hell of a lot better than it did with the original engine even with the same DPFE sensor issue.

While driving over the mountains my car started to overheat a little even with the tranny cooler and the heat turned on and windows open. At one point we stopped at a scenic rest stop to allow it to cool and try to get a NC map. I opened the hood and noticed condensation on the AC lines. They felt very cold so now I know that the comprssor is running when it's not required. I had it set on defrost because the window kept on fogging up in the weather. I drove the rest of the way with the air AND heat turned off and the car ran a hell of a lot cooler but the window was always a little foggy.

I've never been getting any real heat anyways. With the compressor running I'll get heat for a second but then the heat is mixed with cold air. The only setting where I can actually get heat is on Panel. I'm thinking that if I can't easily fix the problem I'll just deal with it for now by turning off the AC compressor for the winter and hope we don't get anymore warm days.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The ac compressor on most every vehicle will run when on defrost ... purpose is the condenser in the dash removes moisture from the interior ... normal

your second issue sounds like a diverter/actuator problem in the dash ...

OR

maybe your compressor is not cycling, which if it were not, I am guessing you would have spun it and siezed it if it were on constant ... the bearings don't like constant running ...

if you have auto climate control, you can run a diagnostic on it right from the panel ... (my notes are at home on how to do it)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Like dezertcougar says, the compressor runs when you turn on the defroster. The exception to this is if it's less than 50 degrees out, when it doesn't engage with the defroster, because cold air holds less moisture.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just not happy that my plan to cool down the engine while going up the mountains and pulling a heavy load only made it hotter. What really gets me is how cool the air has been coming from the heater. I can get some heat in the panel position but for some reason I smell fuel when in that position. Or maybe I have a fuel leak too but I can only smell it when in that position and not all of the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts