TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so a couple days ago I was sitting at a light and noticed my car was idling crazy. So I got home after work and checked it out and compressor was cycling like every few seconds. So I thought I had a leak. I hooked my gages up and my low side is going from 35 to 55 with every cycle and my high side is 125 to 150. Any ideas? I replaced drier compressor orifice last summer. I been reading up on a couple switches but can't seem to find any specs on what to test. Any help is appreciated thanks...it's hot as a hell out there! !

·
Super Moderator
9,141 Posts
Reference your readings compared to the current ambient temperature (measured in front of the condenser) to this chart to determine if your charge is correct:

·
Super Moderator
9,141 Posts
Yep, definitely. Have a look for leaks if you can before recharging. Commonly the O-rings.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked it the other day cause I changed my buddies compressor. I checked mine cause I knew it was working great. It was at 40 at 100 degrees. So it's probably always been low. Just starting to get hotter now I guess.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked over all the lines earlier and they all looked clean. No oil mess anywhere. Hopefully I just never had it fully charged. When I replaced the system last year I had no idea about temp messing with pressure so I just charged it till it felt cold...lol

·
Super Moderator
9,141 Posts
If the low is in spec and the high isn't high enough, my suspicion would be a weak compressor. Is it still cycling at 55PSI low? As long as the pressure stays above about 25-30 PSI low it shouldn't cut off. If so, I'd check/replace the cycling switch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I online with another member. He told me to jump the cycling switch. I did that the compressor engaged and stayed. One of the lines coming out of the drier got cold. Low side reading 0. High side still 150.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did another test I had everything hooked up and sprayed water on the condensor. It read 30 to 55 low 75 high. I guess that means there is a restriction. Maybe orifice. I actually did not change that last summer as I heard you had to mess with the line? Guess I'm doing it now.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Sounds like you need to replace the orifice tube. Also sounds like it needs more Freon. If you had a low reading of 0 and high of 150, then the system is low. High should be near 210-230 psi.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those reading were with the cycling swith jumped. When I hooked it all back together it was 35 to 55 on the low 75 on the high side while spraying water on the condensor

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I was wrong about the orifice. After some research it seems in the 97 it's easily replaced..

·
Super Moderator
9,141 Posts
If the orifice tube was blocked, you'd have a HIGH reading on the high side and a LOW reading on the low side, but you have the opposite problem...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I got an accumulater and orifice today. Gonna change tomorrow. I bought oil room how much should I add? I pit the right amount when I changed it last summer so I assume I shouldn't add the total amount right?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Well I got an accumulater and orifice today. Gonna change tomorrow. I bought oil room how much should I add? I pit the right amount when I changed it last summer so I assume I shouldn't add the total amount right?
Buy an ounce measuring cup (very small) remove as much of the old oil from the accumulator into the cup, discard the oil, clean the cup, add new oil to about 1/2oz-1oz more then you removed. That's how I've always done it with great results.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The drier should just snap back in right? I can't get the damn thing to lock on the firewall side...

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
First, oil the orings with pag oil, then twist and push until you hear a click. I always try to pull it back apart or get a mirror and make sure the spring slipped past the "flare" on the evaporator.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts