TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my AC compressor is VERY hard to turn by hand (The driveplate, not the clutch pulley) I've been doing AC work for years and this is the hardest one to turn to date, although it is my first experience with this particular model ford compressor.

Is this normal? and when did it happen to you?

I'd like to replace it before it grenades to prevent massive flushing.

btw AC system blows cold and pressures are spot on.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Mine totally stoped working about 4 months ago.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ExecutiveHydra said:
Mine totally stoped working about 4 months ago.
AC system in general or do you know it's the c ompressor?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I know it's the compressor

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
My compressor went at 120,000 but only after a dumb AC tech overcharged it to the point it would stall the motor at idle when the clutch engaged. After he realized what he did he removed some but it failed within a couple of months after that. It is usually really noisy when they fail

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmms sounds like it's time to put in a Unicla FS10 and a filter, I'd rather spend the money now than have to flush the evap, lines, get a new accum, condenser etc etc.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
You sound a lot like Cam94. He'll come over to my place to change one part and then replace the 5 surrounding parts just in case :)

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
I have never been impressed with Ford's A/C. Anyone know of a different manufacturer's system that can be swapped in?

I talked with an HVAC tech that has his A/C system internally lubricated annually. He said he does for building systems, and he's done it to his cars for decades. Since he's had no failures, I think that says something.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I think it's all in the maintenance I have only replaced my compressor once in 215,000 miles. There is a lubricating oil you put in the AC lines after you vacuum the system down. Never thought about drawing it down once a year and relubing though. The biggest issue the ford systems have are the disconnect fittings but they sell stabilizer kits to overcome that. The reality is that there are only a couple of different manufacturers of compressors no matter what type of car it is.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
timb said:
I think it's all in the maintenance I have only replaced my compressor once in 215,000 miles. There is a lubricating oil you put in the AC lines after you vacuum the system down. Never thought about drawing it down once a year and relubing though. The biggest issue the ford systems have are the disconnect fittings but they sell stabilizer kits to overcome that. The reality is that there are only a couple of different manufacturers of compressors no matter what type of car it is.
I would recommend against emptying the system and vacuuming it down again every year, Ford (And most new cars) come with PAG oil witch has an extremely high affinity for moisture, the less your AC system sees air, the less chance of your PAG oil turning acidic with the moisture. The AC oil never has to be changed, only add it if you are replacing a component of the system. The general rule is if you replace the accumulator, Compressor, evap, or condensor is to add 2oz of PAG for every compenent replaced.

Unicla makes FS10 compressor's that are far more superior to Ford's. They are meant for heavy duty applications and have an integrated oil sump for better lubrication. you can get that and any other AC part you need at

www.ackits.com

another good place for AC supplies is www.acsource.com

When you open these ford springlock fittings it is imperative that you clean them very well and use new green o-rings. I like to lubricate my o-rings with Nylog for a good seal, they can be found at either of the sites I mentioned above.

If you guys have any AC questions ask away, I'm a self proclaimed MVAC expert

;)

Edit: and those springlock stabilizers that timb mentioned are worth every penny.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
S_Mazza said:
My compressor failed twice within 100K, so I said FORGET IT and have been A/C-less for 5 years.
After a compressor failure you must replace the condenser, accumulator, flush the hell out of the evap and lines, and must install a springlock filter and new orifice tube assembly. If not all these are done and done well the new compressor will not last long.

also if you used a compressor from your local autoparts store, chances are it was a four seasons reman, we like to call them "for seizens" cuz they seize up after about 50,000 miles ;)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
timb said:
You sound a lot like Cam94. He'll come over to my place to change one part and then replace the 5 surrounding parts just in case :)
You know I just found this!!

I do that because with my luck, the part next to the one I am replacing will fail two weeks later and you will get to help me do it again!!!;)

I Love you man!:D

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I hardly visit this forum!:D

Mine is still going at 140K. When I swap the engine it will be one of the few things I am not changing just because I do not want the hassel of having the whole system evactuated and cleaned and then have to replace the dryer.

I will be replacing the PS pump and pressure hose. I have a $40 Pep boys gift certificate to help offset the cost. Luckily there is one right around the corner from Tim's house. In case we run into a few other parts I want to replace.;)

·
Registered
484 Posts
My project bird 100K+ miles on it, came with the compressor still hooked up and tied off to the side for engine removal. I put in a different engine and bolted the compressor back to it, and it still works. Although its noisy and doesnt get too cold. I think having the lines kinked over to the side like that leaked out some freon, as it does cycle very fast. As soon as it warms up, if I still have it, its fitting change + vacuum + PAG + R134, and I will see how long it holds up.

On another compressor story, my in laws have a 1988 Lincoln LSC and the clutch and compressor locked up on it once, burned the belt right off the car and left them stranded. I tried to tell him that waiting for it to die was bad and to just unplug it, but NOOOOO.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You have AC? man....I yanked mine off and replaced it with an eliminator kit from Steeda. took like 40 pounds of crap off the car freed up some space on the passenger side of the engine bay too. Who needs AC anyway(LOL I'm about to find out with my first summer in New Orleans-course it gets just as hot in Iowa just not quite as longterm).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts