TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leak in my AC system. The mechanic ran dye through the system but didn't see any leaks. I don't know much about the AC system but I was there with him and didn't see any leaks either. He says the leak might might be closer to the condenser under the dash and that the whole dash might need to be taken apart to see (He hasn't looked yet). Is there any way to reach the condenser without taking apart the whole dash? It would save quite a bit of time.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
i would check the accumulator assembly first... he entire assembly cost like 60 bucks... might save you tearing into teh dash.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
He probably said evaporator, like I said I don't know much about AC systems. Why don't you post something useful rather than attacking someone you don't know? Perhaps I should have just said the thingy under the dash to make it more clear for you.....

Thanks sinhumane I'll have him check the accumulator tomorrow morning.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
If the evaporator is bad thereis no way around removing the dash. Even after the dash is out you actually have to cut the plenum apart to get the evap out

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
yeah. jsut get a uv dye kit and teh blacklight.. will make the leak much easier to find.. like 14 bucks at autozone. i even think walfart carries it. as for warmaster. he just has your best interest in mind... he wasnt attacking, just advising. you never said you were unsure about what he might have said. i would want a mechanic that knows what he is talking about.. wether i knew what he was saying or not.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I apologize master486 I know you meant well. It's been about 6 months since I last talked to the mechanic about the AC I couldn't really remember what he said. I shouldn't have flipped out like that.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
its best to just take things lightly here. and stay on topic.. lol. anyways. let us know how it goes... my advice would be to get one tnight.. do it.. and look when it gets dark. the dye will flouesce under the blacklight and you should be able to see it moer clearly.. mark the leak wih some white out or something. so you can go back to it in the daylight... and go from there.

·
5,650 Posts
I apologize master486 I know you meant well. It's been about 6 months since I last talked to the mechanic about the AC I couldn't really remember what he said. I shouldn't have flipped out like that.
It wasn't an attack. Like sinhumane said it was advice. You can turn people off from wanting to help you by responding like that. A/C leaks can be a ***** to track down. I would think it highly unlikely for the evaporator core to be leaking inside the car, but it's possible. The most common places are at the o-rings but if the mechanic knows what he is doing with the leak detection kit he should have no problem. But don't always trust the kit. I had a leak that wouldn't show up on the leak test (done 5 times) and it turned out to be the compressor shaft seal behind the pulley that was leaking.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
i didnt need a dye test... the previous owner had slapped some crap on there in a half assed attempt to patch it... worked until winter hit and dried it out... lol. i jsut replaced the accumulator assembly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.