TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone takein out there ac? and is there a belt that fits? does this change the routeing?

·
Registered
903 Posts
On the 4.6, alot of people just get the AC delete pulley, then you use the same belt as before, because all the delete kit is, is a dummy pulley.

I have one on my car, and have no trouble with it at all.

Brandon

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
were did you find that pulley?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Won't an AC delete pulley for a mustang 4.6 work on the T-bird?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i found a mustang ac delite pulley on ebay for the 96-98 4.6 thanks guys.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yea, I have to agree with badbird, That compressor weighs a good bit, not to mention all the lines and condensor. Weight savings are the reason that I did it.

·
5,650 Posts
I think badbird was saying he deleted a lot from his belt drive (i.e. A/C, power steering). The compressor is the single heaviest part of the system. The lines collectively might weigh 10 lbs, the heaviest being the discharge line with the muffler. The condensor is very light, maybe 5-7 lbs. The evaporator is even lighter as is the accumulator. So the complete system cannot weight more than 40 lbs. Deleting it does help make more room in the engine bay though.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
The reason I ask is that the A/C system won't shed as much weight as you might hope.
It's a lot of weight out of your car when you remove the compressor and condenser, even more if you do like some others on here (myself included) and also remove the blower, plenum, heater and evaporator coils, and all the wiring and controls. Not to mention the space savings under the dash and in the engine bay. If I had to guess, I'd conservatively estimate the parts as follows: compressor 20 lbs, evaporator coil 3 lbs, condenser 5 lbs, lines and accumulator 4 lbs, control head 1 lb. So almost 30 lbs gone off the front end of your car.

You don't need a delete pulley on that particular front cover, just reroute the belt and change one pulley (I think the idler) from a smooth to a grooved. Actually I didn't even bother to change mine, the belt didn't seem to mind that smooth one.

·
5,650 Posts
It's a lot of weight out of your car when you remove the compressor and condenser, even more if you do like some others on here and also remove the blower, plenum, heater and evaporator coils, and all the wiring and controls. Not to mention the space savings under the dash and in the engine bay.
If you remove the blower case and all that then yes, you'll save even more. It may be my definition of "heavy" because I don't see 40-50 lbs as a "heavy" system, though I know that every bit counts when trying to shed weight.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
I have to worst idle when I'm running the A/C in my Thunderbird, I never use it during the summer, and always have the windows down. I would like the added space in the bay along with the weight savings...I don’t care if it weighs only 40 pounds or what not. Once I get time this spring it's all coming out. I got my pulley from Summitracing.com.

·
5,650 Posts
I have to worst idle when I'm running the A/C in my Thunderbird, I never use it during the summer, and always have the windows down. I would like the added space in the bay along with the weight savings...I don’t care if it weighs only 40 pounds or what not. Once I get time this spring it's all coming out. I got my pulley from Summitracing.com.
Did that happen even before you had the AED? Also, do you have mild summers in WI? I couldn't even start to think about living without A/C. It's not fun to sit in traffic in the blazing sun in 110* heat.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
I bought the car with the AED kit, but since I've owned the car it has always idle weird when I turn it on. I have a smooth warm up idle of 8-900 RPMs and as soon as I turn the A/C on I get a shudder then my idle climbs to work against it. The lines get in the way of my air intake tube and the passenger side upper control arm nut which make a heck of a time to loosen and tighten every time (not so often, but hey). Wisconsin will get a couple hot weeks of 80-90 maybe a rare 100 during the summer, but I love it. I'd rather sweat then be cold. I love my tropic temps! :) Other then that I would like more space in the bay and if it's 40 pounds then fine 40 it is. This is not my daily driver, it will only see 5000 miles a year if not less? If I ever feel that it gets too hot I won’t drive it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with oxman

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
I agree with oxman

Well if you have a good working A/C in your Thunderbird and you just want to lose a couple pounds then that shouldn't be the reason to gut the system out. The A/C system in our cars cut out at WOT if you choose to gun it after a green light or whatever reason so you never lose any HP having it in there. Shedding 40 pounds is not going to give you any performance what so ever.

I have some kind of idle issue and before I had a problem with the compressor and had to replace that. But after the idle, compressor and bay issues I decided to just gut it out. If you ever have to sell the car down the road I'm sure it would be a good selling option.
:thumbsup:

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
:eek: But, 40 lbs= almost 50lbs which is half of 100 lbs and every 100 lbs removed =.1 seconds off your 1/4 mile time... Rip it out!

J/K, do whatever you feel comfortable with. Personally i deleted mine because it was leaking, I never used it even when it did work, and I'd rather have the space and weight savings than the luxury of having a/c for the 3 months out of the year when it is really hot down here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is there a write up on how to delete this? Mine is broken and I don't use it. It might just be me but I'd like to see more "how to" articles.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts