TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here with an electrical problem I just can't figure out. 1996 Thunderbird with automatic temperature control AC/Heater control. Display is dim during the day but goes bright when the headlights turn on. Also nothing else on the control lights up or anything on the headlight switch. Thank goodness my dash lights still work for the cluster. Only thing I've done is install an after market radio per the install instructions for the wiring harness. Any suggestions where to start?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,134 Posts
Well, I'd start by disconnecting the radio from the harness and see if the problem goes away. That will help isolate if that is where the problem is. Did you use an adapter harness or did you splice into the vehicle harness directly?

FWIW the headlight switch isn't illuminated on the MN12. Only the Mark VIIIs got headlight switch illumination.

·
Super Moderator
10,273 Posts
The Light Green wire on the stereo plugs is for illumination control; it's a dimmer, iirc, so I'd disconnect it and see if everything goes back to normal.

Some stereos can feed power on this line, and it causes some weird problems, especially if the decks colors or brightness is controlled on the deck.

Another problem can be the amp power lead; if you're using an amp, put a relay in the circuit because some amps backfeed power causing weird problems.

My Alpine decks have this issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm also using an Alpine deck. I did not splice into the harness I used an aftermarket wiring harness. Thank you for the info at least I know where to go. The first thing I did was disconnect the illumination wire from the radio and that made no difference.

·
Super Moderator
10,273 Posts
If you're using one of the high power Alpine decks with the 10awg power lead, that has to go to the battery; the dash wiring won't support it.

If the voltage drops on the 'hot at all times' lead, that will cause all kinds of problems.

·
Administrator
7,994 Posts
Did you have this issue before you installed the Alpine deck?

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts