TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and haven't really come up with anything...

I had my '97's AC evacuated and recharged this weekend. It just really wasn't cooling the way it should be (at least not like the '95).

After $105 and a smile, the guy at said it had "old freon" and should be a lot colder!...B.S.!

After reading thru threads here I ran the diagnosis on the panel and came up with the -188 code, which I read to be normal operation of the climate control system.

It's blowing cold air...but it's just not enough to cool the car down.

I went out and checked to see if the compressor was cycling and it was not cycling...it stayed on consistently.

I think there is a sensor somewhere that reads the outside tempature and adjusts for the inside temp., but I don't know if that is the problem or not.

I would appreciate any ideas as to what may be happening here.

Thanks in advance!
JC

·
Registered
221 Posts
cycling

I dont know that the compressor not cycling at low speeds/idle is really a defining symptom. I live in Fl and my compressors run most of the time at idle. Really depends upon the evaporator efficiency/temp/humidity ect. I think you really need to put guages on it to see just where your pressures are. Obviously, the simple answer is that the low side pressure is not dropping to ~ 27 psi. Hopefully you have a friend that can be bought/bribed to check it with his/her guages :) Both the 95 and 97 probably have 134a, so they should cool about the same. Did he change the dryer/accumulator and install a variable orfice tube? Do the "search" thingy and you should see some really good advice :) LOL

YB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why was the system evacuated and recharged?

There is no such thing as "old freon" unless he meant it was physically old.
Freon = R-12
Suva = R-134a
Those are trademark names. I wouldn't let anybody touch the A/C system on my cars if they didn't know the difference.

Not cycling can be a symptom of overcharging...but only when the temperature is relatively cool.

yardbird is right...get some gauges put on there and find out the pressures at idle and 1500 rpm with the blower on high and MAX/RECIRC

Personally...I wouldn't install a VOV. It has a bad reputation on the A/C boards...and those guys know their stuff. Also, I haven't seen any independent testing showing improvements.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I don't think the ambient air temp sender or the sunload sensor would make that big of a difference, I think no difference if you have it not on Auto (semi-auto) but have it to Max AC, temp at 60, and fan on high.

If it is over around 90 degrees ambient, then it shouldn't cycle very often, if at all (like once every minute for a second or two).

If the self test didn't show a blend door problem, it is probably working, so it isn't mixing hot and cooled air. Putting gauges on it to see what the low and high side pressures are like others have said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts