TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told the O rings in the ac system have been known to leak, well my A/c system is empty. Where are the O rings at and how easy are they to replace? I want to knock this out before summer hits

·
5,650 Posts
There are o-rings located at every single quick-connect fitting in the system and at the compressor manifold mating surface. If you follow the lines of the system, you should see joints where the different sections connect. You will need to get the quick-connect disconnect tool at most any parts store and disconnect every joint and replace each o-ring. There are 2 or 3 at each connection. It's not hard, just time consuming, and some might be difficult to access. Use refrigerant oil (mineral or pag depending on what refrigerant you use) to lubricate the new o-rings once installed.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I would highly recommend you put some R12, or r134 if it's a conversion, in the system first and have someone go over it with a leak detector probe that sniffs for R12/134a. Or use the UV leak dye enhanced R12/134a to check for leaks.

It's entirely likely the leak is in one of the hoses or other parts of the system (condenser core, evap core, hoses, liquid line, compressor etc), or the valves are leaking. To replace all of the o-rings you need to disconnect every component in the refrigerant loop.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You also need to make sure that you do not get any dirt or foreign material inside the AC system. I am with Southpaw, you may have another problem besides just the o-rings.

·
5,650 Posts
Very easy, especially since the compressor is on the top an accessible. You need a couple special tools but you might be able to rent them from Autozone.

Before jumping in and replacing the clutch, make sure it really doesn't work. Unplug the cycling switch on the accumulator and short the 2 wires together. If the clutch engages, the clutch is fine and the problem is either the cycling switch or low refrigerant.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well it may not be a AC leak, the clutch isn't engaging on the compressor. How hard are they to change out?

If you have an o-ring leak, the low pressure switch won't allow the compressor clutch to engage. There is usually an oil residue around a leaking fitting, that willl give you someplace to start looking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts