TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i just got a 99 explorer xlt v6 auto, dont worry still got my bird too, the truck is for the wife,, anyway the AC is not working, where should i start? would having no freon in the system be a good way to start? just get one from pepboys with the little meter and see if its low?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wow no one??

·
Registered
474 Posts
If the compressor does work then put some refrigerant in it with some leak detection dye. If you are lucky (Like me and my old car) you can do that in about 10 min. Just wait for the hissing and bubbling.

Speaking of ac I need a recharge in the bird. Which lines are the high and low?

Nevermind Did a quick search.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no i ont believe the compressor kicks on i dont hear it when i flip to ac,

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
If the charge is too low, the low pressure switch will keep the compressor from turning on. Put in a shot of juice and see if it kicks in.

Bob

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You can jump the low pressure switch with a paper clip or a piece of wire to see if the compressor will work. You pull off the connector and jump the two leads on the connector together. You will probably need to do that anyway to get in any refrigerant and to get a good pressure reading. If you are totally empty, you will need to find the leak, evacuate and refill with oil and refrigerant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts