TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at getting one finally, but I have a question regarding it's electric usage. Is it better to leave the unit on all the times, set at a certain temperate? Or to turn it on when we get home, because it does get to be 80-90 in our place during the day. Also, how much of an increase in out electric bill are we looking at? Since we have never had one, we don't know what to expect. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
IMHO - If you let the temps get too high during the day then it has to run a lot in the evening to bring the entire room back down depending on the amount of furniture, etc. Only way to know is to watch the electric meter and try it a few different ways.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Use only, and I mean only when you are going to be in the room for very long times; and if you are going to get a "Room" A/C unit, then do just that, use it for a room and not the whole house, or you are going to pay quite a bit for electricity.

Depending on the area, if its a dry heat, use a humidifier to bring some moisture to the room.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Well, I don't have AC for the house, I have evaporative cooling, but I have AC for a single room, my office, because i have 6 or 7 computers that will likely be on during working hours.

Mine is a 10,000 BTU, that is 10 seer, so it costs about 14 cents an hour to run where I live. I use mine about 30 minutes to an hour a day once it gets humid (it is already hot!) because the evaporative cooler keeps the house okay, but it can't keep up with the computers.

You will probably find that you need a timer or a programmable thermometer to turn it on before you get home if you don't keep it on during the day. If it is just one room, and the AC is sized for the room, then it might be able to pull the heat out of it quicker.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've had my fair share of window types of a/c. Personally, I'd leave it on during the day, but make sure the blinds/curtains are closed. also turn it so its a little warmer (not the coldest setting). It'll help a little bit on the whirling of the electric meter. But I agree, if you leave it off during the day, it'll take so much longer for it to cool down whatever room you are trying chill when you get home from work.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
The newer window units are pretty darned efficient. We have an 8,000 btu that has an energy saver mode so that even the blower goes off when it's not needed. It's got a digital thermostat and works well. Our central unit's compressor went out over a year ago so we have a 5k and 8k window units. It keeps the house plenty cool for less electricity than the central did. I also keep the ceiling fans on and a box fan to push cool air into the living room from the kitchen where the 8k is. No complaints from me.

We'd replace the central unit, but don't have the $$ to do it; so this works well for us.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I wouldn't go with a portable unit, unless you only want to cool certain rooms certain times. We sell a lot of them at work. When it's hot, I've seen 20+ go out the door in a day. Frigidaire and Gibson are the main ones we sell. We just got some Sharp refurbished ones that look crappy. A buddy from work got a window one with a remote for his bedroom for $100 at Wal-Mart or Costco or somewhere, and it works just fine for him, and he can easily remove it himself.

How many square feet is your room? When does the sun shine in during the day? I'd get some thick, dark curtains and a small A/C unit, and you should be fine. Had a roommate put aluminum foil over our windows, and it kept a lot of heat and light out. Looked crappy, but it was a dorm.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I just bought a window unit for my room, 5050 btu GE unit from walmart $109.00 with a remote and digital thermostat. I keep it at around 72-74 degrees. It cools my 20x15 room pretty good. Yearly usage for the thing is like 42 bucks, and I figured thats all year around usage on power save mode, so its about half that im guessin. I do have central air, but this room in my house doesnt get good airflow, so this helps out. All the power save mode does is turn it off when its at temperature, whereas if its not on power save, the fan keeps running. This unit isnt really designed for storm windows, so i had to do some jury rigging, but its safely in there. Make sure you seal everything good like the cracks and stuff, i used duct tape to seal it lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts