TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is having trouble acceleratiing. it is very uneven when I get on the gas when i am on the highway. If i am crusing at 70 or so and give it a good amount of gas the car feels like it is rocking back and forth while it is accelerating. I have felt the same thing accelerating at some stops but its not as often. Wires are 1 year old, new plugs, new fuel filter, maf is clean and working. could it be the tranny slipping. it is also very prevelent when going up hills but that could be because i increase the throttle for that.

thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just curious how do you go about checking the mlps. i know that its on the tranny. and what are the symptoms of it going out?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
usually the MLPS going bad will be random drops into neutral when crusing or something of the like. Not usually affective on acceleration. Is the car throwing an engine light? I had a problem similar to yours. There was an engine light that said bad o2 sensors and TPS voltage low, replaced both and problem went away.
-Thomas

·
Registered
573 Posts
Coil packs? I've trouble with coil packs before. When they go bad you're gonna Know it. The car will run like road kill, but not all the time. A little rain or when the engine is warm usually will produce a car that will misfire so bad and slow down to where you come to a stop on the road. If that's the case then look for hairline cracks in the coils. It may start fine and after 30 minutes let your butt down or it may not start at all the next day. That's moisture in the coil. Or in dry weather it might run fine untill the motor get at temp. then miss like you gotta turn around and go home. That's the coils. If you think it's the coils then pull them off one at a time. It only takes 15 minutes, and look real close for the hairline cracks and if you see one guess what. Another thought is maybe you crossed up the spark plug wires, that too could give a funny wierd ride and not know what it is. Ed

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't had any check engine codes. From the posts that i have read the mlps doesn't seem to have the same symptoms that i am experiencing

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Have you seen a big decrease in gas milage? 94's tend to have problems with the EEC goign bad and hanging injectors open. If this is so the car with be running way rich and will be a dog.

-Miller

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The gas mileage has stayed pretty constant. I did want to try and check the injectors to be sure they are running fine but i haven't noticed any decrease in the gas mileage that i have got lately. It just really anoying

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check your plugs. I ran into the same problem after I had changed my plugs. Visually, there was a burned spot on the electrode and it looked like the plugs were shorting to the head rather than firing through the electrode. A change to the Bosch 4 electrode platinums cured it all. The problem was mostly apparent during highway driving when I was accelerating or going around corners and lightly accelerating.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the plugs are new autolite ones that are made for the stock engine. is this sufficent for our engines and i had to gap them all because they were off in the package they were to small. Even the ones that were in my car were to small of a gap. Do you think i should gap them to a smaller gap or what

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had the same symptoms with relatively new 22c plugs.

Not that you have to, but I went down to 12cs (Ford plug) and changed all the plugs, blew any debris out of the plug area, used diaelectric grease, checked all the wires, etc.

It went away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts