TCCoA Forums banner

accident door damage, reskin, repair, or replace?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Rob 
#1 ·

So do I go and plop down 50 bucks and pull the one from the 98 base in the lot (I think it has damage, but just to the surface, no dents) in anticipation of them not finding one, or will they fix this one, or will they try to re-skin it? The car in the you pull it place will only be there a few more days, if it is still there.

Will a door fit in the trunk of a Mark VIII?

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't feel like going at it alone, these doors are heavy, and no way I can remove it, from a car up on stacked rims, without dinging a corner or ripping a muscle.

Tire really wore into the side trim!

mainly superficial scrapes to the quarter, but it did get damaged below the trim:

door didn't fare as well. It is creased at the top, but not torn

#3 ·
That'sssss why they call you Bangster!

Sorry.. :zwall:

It might be worth trying to pop that dent out on the door..

I have to ask..Did a semi truck get too close?

Rayo..

#4 ·
If you can find a door for $50, do it. Hell, even if you have to pay someone another $50 to help pull it off without damaging it, you are still going to be way ahead of the game. The quarter is easily repairable, but the door will require a new skin to make it right, and I don't know if Ford even still sells a skin, not to mention you are looking at about 5 hours of labor to replace the skin, so any complete door for less than $250 is ahead of the game. Plus as you pointed out, the side molding will need to be replaced anyway, and the used door will come with the molding.

#5 ·
Door most likely won't fit. When I picked up one for the T-bird a few years back, it took up the whole floor in the back of my mom's Explorer.

#6 · (Edited)
Yeah, I ran issues gathering parts for my 97 Cougar with my 97 Mark VIII. I was fine until I tried to get a complete header panel for an 89 Town Car in the car. It would have fit, but it is so angular and has so many protruding sharp metal bits the interior would have paid the price. I really don't want to add to the junk I have around the house, but if this is my way of getting my car fixed (last accident I was SOL because no one could get the parts), I might as well pull the trigger and do it. I do have neighbors with trucks, but I am almost a few points behind in the favor department. This would mean some cleaning virus and backing up pictures and wiring up a router time, which I don't want to do.

short clip (WW for language of comedian and me when I get nailed).

She is in the 07 Vibe (which was a piece, oxidized and missing drivers mirror from recent other scrape (and "excuse" as to why it happened, but she said there is only one turn lane)) 2 cars ahead of me before splitting off into the different lanes, then she is right next to me. Everyone else in front of here in the far right lane get it right and go to the far right, and two cars in front of me someone turns right into the second/middle lane.

video with no sound:

#9 · (Edited)
She is in the 07 Vibe (which was a piece, oxidized and missing drivers mirror from recent other scrape (and "excuse" as to why it happened, but she said there is only one turn lane)) 2 cars ahead of me before splitting off into the different lanes, then she is right next to me. Everyone else in front of here in the far right lane get it right and go to the far right, and two cars in front of me someone turns right into the second/middle lane.
That's frustrating. I particularly don't like how the road sign doesn't seem to match the painted markings. But I can't tell what the little sign says under the arrow "ONLY" sign. I wish I knew if there are any official rules for right-of-way when two turning lanes move into three lanes. There is an intersection I often have to deal with that has an identical situation. Never know who is going to jump for that middle lane; sometimes it's me.

#8 ·
I don't think the door in the junk yard will get me much. The front fender was pushed back and front lip is bent.

Just going to submit it to my insurance, possibly bypass them and contact the other persons insurance, and see if I get the same blank stare about finding parts for it.

The trunk space in the Mark VIII is pitiful compares to an MN12. I could see getting the top end back on the 89 and removing the trunk lid for this job haha

I could possible remove the back seat and the brace, but even at an angle it is still too big. I do have bungee cords and rope and it is literally 1.5 miles away.

#10 ·
At 14 seconds into the clip on the left (partially obscured by branches, but still pretty obvious) it shows 2 left only, one combo straight/right turn, and a right only lane. It is pretty much how any new intersections are built (this one is so new that it doesn't show up in Google maps). They also make the lane end (this case the left) when it doesn't, which I don't get.

She was able to successfully navigate a round-about, I need to go to an earlier clip to see if I caught how it went. People don't get round-abouts and I love them. I don't remember the outcome of the myth busters episode on them, but I think they CAN work well with a little education (it is part of the drivers exam).

#11 ·
Bleh I hate round-abouts, Wisconson seems to have gotten a real hard on for them over the past few years and has randomly placed them everywhere from downtown Racine to bum**** nowhere like the intersection at 45 and 20(go ahead and Google earth that gratuitous waste of tax dollars). They're too small and city planners feel the need to obscure visibility further with a stupid decoration in the center of them.

#12 ·
I'm not a bodyman but I think replacing the door skin wouldn't even be an option due to time and cost.

Replace the door with one from a junkyard, and paint match it, easiest route. A good body man could make the existing door straight again though.

#13 ·
Sad to see that my, man. At least it's not heavy damage. That's something I haven't really noticed much of in all my years of driving...two right turn lanes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.