TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oil Accumulator install - any oil passages already in block?

I'm thinking of installing an oil accumulator in the car and wondered if anyone knew of an existing port in the block to feed into? 3/8" or 1/2" would be best, I don't think the port on the oil filter adapter is big enough to use, as well as being on the pump side of the filter...

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts
I can't think of one. Mine is installed in the remote oil filter mount, after the filter, with an electric solenoid valve and an adjustable one-way flow control valve. The flow control valve allows the accumulator to dump it's oil volume to the engine quickly, but slows down the refilling of the accumulator. It may not be completely necessary, but I had one here.

Excuse the wiring mess, these pictures were taken during the install.

-Rod

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Pardon my ignorance.. But what is the purpose of the accumulator? What are the benefits?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Brings oil pressure up before starting of the engine.

I think there are ports, but they are behind the rear cover.

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts
Yep, I use my setup mainly to prime the engine before firing it up. It can also be used as a pressurized oil reserve in the case of oil pressure fluctuations/drops.

-Rod

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Ooohhh... I see... So is it worth the money?! Some of the times when I start my engine, I do hear like if there was no oil, like a click click sound. My levels are fine. Any advantage in using when turbo charging?

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't think of one. Mine is installed in the remote oil filter mount, after the filter, with an electric solenoid valve and an adjustable one-way flow control valve. The flow control valve allows the accumulator to dump it's oil volume to the engine quickly, but slows down the refilling of the accumulator. It may not be completely necessary, but I had one here.

-Rod
Thanks for the pics. I guess using a remote oil filter and plumbing it into that is the easiest way. Do you mind me asking about what your setup cost?

How long does it take to 'inject' the oil at startup and how long to refill?

Ideally I'd like to add a 'wait to start' timer (DEI 528T?) to my remote starter as that is mainly how I start the car (yes, I'm lazy!), and have it delay the time it takes to prelube it...

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I guess using a remote oil filter and plumbing it into that is the easiest way. Do you mind me asking about what your setup cost?
WAY too much. But I've put way too much into the entire car so...

How long does it take to 'inject' the oil at startup and how long to refill?
When I flip the switch for the accumulator solenoid, I see pressure jump to about 30 psi within one second on the oil pressure gauge. I typically wait about two seconds before firing the engine.

After firing the engine, I turn the switch for the accumulator solenoid off. The oil pressure from the engine will push past the flow control and solenoid valves into the accumulator. I've got everything adjusted to where it takes about one minute to refill the accumulator to 90 psi of oil pressure.

-Rod

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the prices I've seen around, it'll cost ~$500-700 to install this... Any ideas on where to get pieces cheaper?

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts
Ebay maybe. If you buy a used accumulator, be sure to disassemble and clean it thoroughly. I just dissassembled mine (I spun a rod bearing a couple months ago and littered the oil with aluminum particles), and it wasn't too difficult at all.

-Rod

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks greatly for the help racecougar... I'll have to start gathering the items I need :) Maybe this will make one of my winter projects unless I can get everything quicker...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts