TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '95 AODE car has a hard time shifting to second, and almost never shifts to third anymore

I was told this is probably the 1-2 accumulator but could also be the MLPS

which should I go after?

also, is this thing my accumulator?

·
Registered
633 Posts
A hard 1-2 could be low fluid, bad burnt fluid, bad forward clutch, or bad 1-2 accum.

That is your 1-2 that you pointed to, if the springs in their are broken then thats a primary cause of a hard 1-2 shift.

While you are under their I hope you are doing the jerry mod (Check the trans tech articles)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would abad 1-2 hurt my 2-3 shift or cause it not to find the gear at all?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Generally not, but an old style 2-3 accumulator piston that is leaking will...
As will a leaking valve body gasket.
But a 1-2 piston and cover that is totally wasted will cause pressure loss that can effect all ranges.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
I looked twice but can't really tell...is that 1-2 accumulator cover cocked in the bore, it looks like it's not sitting straight at all. If it isn't, then it will cause a large line pressure leak and that will cause the clutches to burn up and a whole mess of other bad things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, that was after i pushed it up with my finger

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I'd replace the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators - they tend to wear and should be replaced anyway. Youll need new valvebody gaskets as well, tighten them to 90 in-lbs at least twice. Those parts are cheap. then if that doesnt work, there's an MLPS at napa that some guys have found... only ~$30, which sure beats ford's price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts