TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. what are the signs of accumulator springs going bad? i have 84,000 on my cougar. How much would it average to get done at a tranny shop? Thanks for any help:)

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,572 Posts
I'm fairly certain at least the bottom 1-2 spring is busted on the Cougar. The reason I suspect so is because the shift is about as firm as it is on the T-bird and I've done the J-mod to it. Normally you shouldn't feel the shift 'snap', it's supposed to ease into one gear from another in the stock form.

If you're going to be replacing the springs, it would be prudent (and cost effective) to replace the accumulators with the updated versions as well as do the J-mod while you're there (about $80 in parts, depending on sources). Fresh tranny fluid and a new pan filter would also be a good idea, which would run another $50-$60 so.

The procedure took me about 5 hours the first time I did it (from draining to driving) and 3 the second time, but an experienced shop should be able to do it in an hour, maybe two. If you supplied all the parts and instructions, figure $200-$300 for the entire operation. If you feel comfortable doing it yourself you could pull it off for under $150.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts