TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some reading, and watching some videos the last couple of days, and seeing that acetone in the gas might not be such a bad thing. However it is all pretty much just stuff to read, so I'm wondering what some actual peoples thoughts are on the subject. It's supposed to help vaporize the fuel much better, and allow it to be more completely combusted, among other things it allegedly does.

I can see how it would be bad if it were to emulsify water in the fuel but I believe you could use a water remover to pull the water out again? Other than that there doesn't seem to be any really negative effects that I've read about, worst case scenario I've seen is absolutely no change in fuel mileage at all.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I read a couple years ago about the acetone thing.....thought of trying it, but since most things on the internet are free, the info provided wasn't enough for me to try it on my daily driver. So, for the better gas milage, I just slowed down a bit, and that resulted in the same for me.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Worthless. Better driving habits offer far better gains.
but hey a shot glass of acetone can't hurt. so if you drive like a sane person and put a shot glass of acetone you'll save a twinkey load of fuel.

·
Super Moderator
9,254 Posts
Consider the price per gallon of acetone compared to gasoline... It wouldn't be worth it.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Consider the price per gallon of acetone compared to gasoline... It wouldn't be worth it.
but hey a shot glass of acetone can't hurt. so if you drive like a sane person and put a shot glass of acetone you'll save a twinkey load of fuel.
considering the cost of fuel, a twinkey load of fuel is savings.

Acetone isn't that expensive either, and 1-3oz per 10 gallons isn't going to cost that much.....the advantage I would have is I can get acetone freely.

so if you already drive like a sane person, and reap the benefits of such, then what's the next step?

anyway, I could see how acetone would at the very least make for a good cleaner.

·
Registered
171 Posts
1-3 oz per 640 oz (10 gal) isn't going to increase fuel efficiency or clean much of anything...1-2 oz per gallon will help with the cleaning, but not so much with fuel efficiency. Just my $0.02

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Could remove a windsheild wiper too, the weight loss will also improve mileage as much as acetone:rolleyes:
LOL don't forget the improved aerodynamics!! :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
but hey a shot glass of acetone can't hurt.
I'm not so sure about that.

Acetone isn't good for any plastics that I know of.

It dissolves most plastics other than teflon, lol.

I wouldn't do it; YMMV...

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
DO the math....Acetone + rubber seals = carnage. Don't do it man!:thumbsd:
You'd have better luck with lighter fluid.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you're dead set on 'cleaning' your fuel system use seafoam, not what girls use to remove nail polish. As for mpg increases, don't waste your time dumping the snake oil of the month in your tank (acetone).

That being said I hear liquid plumber in your fuel increases gas mileage by 25%, haha.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Could remove a windsheild wiper too, the weight loss will also improve mileage as much as acetone:rolleyes:
Nah that's not productive... then you couldn't drive in adverse weather... he needs Carbon Fiber wipers. Then he's got weight loss AND bling. All the girls would be running to the car like crazy with that kinda bling.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you guys have the wrong idea here, I'm simply saying that gasoline and acetone cause rubber to do the same stuff. It isn't about having my mind made up, just that someone says acetone destroys rubber, well I agree there, but gas also does the same thing. one would think that if something is going to withstand gas, it should also withstand acetone.

and what's with you guys and these bling references, do you think I'm a teenager or something, and am looking to own my car just to attract retarded girls interested in nothing more than a shiny car? not my type of woman thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
one would think that if something is going to withstand gas, it should also withstand acetone.
One who took chemistry class knows better. :)

Look up a list of things soluble in Acetone, then look at a similar list of things dissolved by gasoline...

Acetone is bad for most plastics except teflon (almost nothing dissolves teflon), and is also used to glue together acrylic plastics like plexiglass. It partially dissolves the plexiglass, then re-solidifies when it evaporates.

I won't be putting that in any of my vehicles.

This is a good overview of the literature on the issue you're bringing up:

http://neubranderinc.com/blog/2007/01/03/acetone-in-gasoline-busted/

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks, I'm gonna take a read on that....... it's been quite some time since I've been in a chemistry class.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts