TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,
My wife has a friend that has the above car. The lady has two kids and is pregnant with a third(so cash is tight). It wouldn't be so bad, but her Knuckle headed husband (soon to be X) empty out the savings and left her high and dry. She replaced the tranny about 4 months ago at the tune of 2400 bucks. It was a used tranny they put in.
It was only made in 98 and only has one tranny that will fit. . Now the same shop will put another used tranny in for another 2200. I have never just swapped a tranny out on a front wheeled car. I have swapped a engine and tranny at one time. I guess I should cut to the chase, here are my questions.

1. Should I try to rebuild it, I mean is it cheaper to do so?
2 Where can I get a rebuild or used for cheap, with out going through the normal used places (greenleaf, asap ect...)
3. Most important, should I pull the engine and tranny out all at once and doe the swap with the tranny out side of the car?

Thanks to the car tech gurus

Eric

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
yeah its probably going to be alot easier to pull engine and tranny at the same time. it was a pita and not alot of room to work when i put in the rear main in my wifes car and thats fwd.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FordFanatic said:
yeah its probably going to be alot easier to pull engine and tranny at the same time. it was a pita and not alot of room to work when i put in the rear main in my wifes car and thats fwd.

Sweet! Now I need a cherry picker!

Eric

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I'd take the entire front subframe out the bottom. Then swap transmissions and re-install the subframe.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
umm, if you haven't done it before than i would shy away from it if you don't know anybody who has done a fwd tranny before that could help you, especially since it is not your car, you don't wanna have everything apart only to find out you can't finish it.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I've rebuilt 2 automatic transmissions (albeit simple RWD ones) and would definitely shy away from rebuilding someone else's FWD transaxle.

Do like Greenbird said and drop the whole cradle/transaxle/engine assembly out the bottom of the car on to a dolly and roll it around to where you can access it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
if you supply the transmission, you can get a shop to pull the old one and replace with the newer one for cheap if you can find a good shop. when i had the clutch in my eclipse replaced, it was 300(albeit i supplied the clutch) for them to drop the tranny, put the new clutch in, resurface the flywheel, and put it all back together, and took them 3 hours.

and i would shy away from doing it yourself. ive done several tranny swaps on fwd, and decided that, even though its my car, id rather pay the 300 bucks than take all weekend, and know its not only done right, but if anthing messes up, i can take it back.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had to lift the motor up on my Prelude with a cherry picker, then I disconnected the trans after dropping the subframe, and went in through underneath :D
It was not a lot of fun, and it made me like working on my bird even more..
I was just changing the clutch, but you still have to remove the tranny for doing that..

FYI : This was on an 85 Prelude 1.8 dual carbed. The old design that has literally hundreds of vacuum lines running all over the engine bay, and on top of the motor. The lines would run across the engine bay into random black boxes, where the lines connected with other lines.. The emissions on this car was a nightmare, but once it was fixed, I never had a problem again. Took me 7 hours to get everything out!!

It shouldnt be as bad with the newer Acura though, especially since its an auto..

·
Registered
391 Posts
Can she drive a 5-speed?

Good time for a swap if she can. The 98-99 Honda autos behind the 2.3 (I'm thinking it must be an F23A_) were not good. Honda has a warranty to 100k on the 98 to 01 Accord autos because of all the failures. I'm thinking the CL is the fancy Accord, right?

Anywho, check out this forum... maybe someone on it is local and would help:
http://www.hondavision.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts